[nfbwatlk] Teacher Of the Year and Distinguished Edducator of theyear!

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Jun 23 03:46:36 UTC 2009

Insofar as the OSB students transferring to WSSB is concerned, one must
bear in mind the following:

(1) Unless Oregon can come up with a mechanism to fund the cost to
attend WSSB, the only way OSB students could atend would be for their
parents to either pay the cost themselves or move to Washington so the
students would be eligible as citizens of Washington.

(2) Although by law parents in Washington (unlike those in Oregon or
many other states) have the right to choose WSSB as the school their
blind children should attend immediately (as opposed to only having WSSB
as a choice if a public school placement doesn't work), it is not
necessarily clear whether all students would find WSSB a satisfactory
placement as I understand that some of the students have multiple
disabilities that WSSB is not equipped to handle.

Mike