[nfbwatlk] Fw: FDA clears first implantable telescope for vision

Robert Sellers robertsellers500 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 11 08:01:01 UTC 2010

Yes, new technology and beginning uses of  technology often can sound nutty.
There were a lot of skeptics who thought Bell's invention of the telephone
was a total waste and there would never be a need for such a device.
If we look at America's first endeavor into  space and  the attempt at
lauching missles. The first few Redstone missles, on ignition fell over
backwards and crashed on the launching pad. But, they learned from  those
unsuccessful attempts.
If we were to ask the sighted about the possibility of the blind driving a
car, they would say "You're crazy!". There are those who are  blind, who
will say that, also. Right now, we can't but  research needed to begin, so
we  learn what works and doesn't work, make the modifications and in time
success.
The same can be said about this device. Yes, there are challenges and
obstacles to overcome, but it needs to start somewhere to find what
doesn't work or what needs to change.
If technology is capable of restoring a blind persons vision, As to whether
a blind person wants to see, is a personal choice. There is neither a right
nor wrong.  What is wrong, is for a blind person not to try and achieve
his/her's greatest potential as a blind person,  while setting around
waiting/hoping  for technology to get to that point of restoring sight.

bob