[nfbwatlk] Commission for People with Disabilities appointments confirmed

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 7 05:18:28 UTC 2010

Good afternoon,

Today the Seattle City Council confirmed the first fourteen people who will
serve as commissioners on the new Seattle Commission for People with
Disabilities, which will advise the Mayor, City Council, and departments on
issues affecting people with disabilities.

I've attached a press release (text also below), FAQ sheet, and brief
commissioner bios for you to look over. I hope you can publicize the new
commission to your contacts. It'll be a big help to the group as it begins
to set its priorities and develop a work plan.

If you have questions about these materials, please contact me.

Thank you,

Felicia Yearwood

Seattle Human Rights Commission

Seattle Commission for People with Disabilities

810 Third Avenue, Suite 750

Seattle, WA  98104-1627

(206) 684-4537

felicia.yearwood at seattle.gov

May 19, 2010    PRESS RELEASE

For more information: Felicia Yearwood, 684-4537,
<mailto:felicia.yearwood at seattle.gov> felicia.yearwood at seattle.gov

Seattle City Council confirms members of new
Seattle Commission for People with Disabilities

Seattle City Council has confirmed the first fourteen people who will serve
as commissioners on the new Seattle Commission for People with Disabilities.

Mark Adreon, Joshua Caple, Rebecca C. Cory, Charlene Curtiss, Patricia
Copeland, John Denooyer, Hope Drummond, Vickie Foster, Laura Gramer, Mary
Beth Lum, Erica Sekins, Gary Stobbe, Deborah Witmer, and Sara Woody will
serve on the volunteer commission that will advise the Mayor, City Council,
and City departments on issues affecting people with disabilities, as well
as help to foster understanding between people with disabilities and City
government.

"I want to welcome the members of the Commission for People with
Disabilities to City government," said Mayor Mike McGinn. "These individuals
bring expertise and commitment to the critical issue of disability access
and accommodation. I look forward to working with this new Commission to
help ensure that the perspectives of people with disabilities will be
included in all City of Seattle policies and programs."

Seven commissioners were appointed by the Mayor and seven by Seattle City
Council. Commissioners themselves will nominate two additional members,
including one person age 18-29 to be appointed in September through the
YMCA's Get Engaged Program. All appointments are subject to City Council
confirmation.

The mission of the Seattle Commission for People with Disabilities (SCPWD)
is to promote the full participation of people with disabilities in all
areas of economic, political, and community life in the City of Seattle. The
duties of the Commission include:

.      Informing the Mayor, City Council, and City departments about issues
of importance to people with disabilities;

.      Assuring access to City services and facilities;

.      Recommending policies, practices, and legislation to the City in
matters affecting the concerns of people with disabilities; and

.      Encouraging understanding among people with various disabilities as
well as between people with disabilities and the larger Seattle community.

Nearly forty individuals submitted applications to serve on the Commission.
Applications and resumes were reviewed by the Human Rights Commission
Disability Task Force and the Seattle Office for Civil Rights (SOCR), which
will provide ongoing administrative support to the Commission. SOCR staff
conducted interviews with twenty-five candidates.

"This new commission will help inform the Council on our policy decisions
with respect to accessibility, accommodations and inclusiveness," said
Councilmember Bruce Harrell, Chair of the Energy, Technology and Civil
Rights Committee.  "Viewing accessibility through the Race and Social
Justice lens will help ensure that all of our citizens are included."

"The ad hoc Committee to Establish a Seattle Disabilities Commission did a
tremendous job helping to create this commission," said Julie Nelson,
director of the Seattle Office for Civil Rights. "I am really excited to
work with the new commissioners as they move forward with their work plan."

SCPWD is not designed to handle individual complaints about accommodation
and access for people with disabilities. People who believe they may have
been discriminated against on the basis of disability should continue to
contact the Seattle Office for Civil Rights directly to discuss their
situations. For more information call 206-684-4500 or visit
<http://www.seattle.gov/civilrights> www.seattle.gov/civilrights.

####