[nfbwatlk] Perkins Braillers

Dean Martineau dean at topdotenterprises.com
Sat Sep 18 22:43:40 UTC 2010

All right, I can't resist, or at least, I'm not going to.

I'm glad I know how to use a slate and stylus, and I know where it is.  I
haven't used it, or not often,  in five years.

I'm sure the school for the blind in the third world country where my good
old Perkins now lives uses a lot more than I was using it, which was not at
all since I don't write or read paper braille.

If I had to build a label system now, I don't know if I would use braille or
Digit-Eyes for the iPhone.  I would have to look at Digit-Eyes and then make
the decision.  the slate would work if I had to use it.

I use braille daily, often a lot daily, but all electronic.

The attempt to compare the slate and stylus to a pencil is not quite
accurate, in my opinion, since even the fastest slate users can't write as
fast as pencil writers and we can't read the output of a pencil.  If
electronic braille was easily available, and there is no reason why it
should not be, we wouldn't have to resort to mechanical solutions.  Yes,
people still use their pencils and pens, but they use them a lot less than
they used to as those things which one used to have to resort to mechanical
writing to achieve can now be done better on the phones.

During the nearly 520 weeks that I have abandoned use of paper braille for
electronic braille, there might have been 15 weeks when I did not have my
system due to maintenance reasons.  I actually don't think the number is
that high.  Those times are unquestionably a drag, and speak not to
reverting to inferior paper braille, but rather to getting more electronic
braille access.  those maintenances have also cost money, which is a drag
too but luckily I've had it, and again, I want to see much more electronic
braille access rather than giving people excuses to move backward, or not to
try moving forward.  During the other 500 or so weeks, I can achieve things
with my electronic braille system that anybody without one cannot du.  (Try
carrying around 500 volumes of braille at a time on the bus, or getting the
facilitators of your next workshop to casually e-mail you the handouts in
advance so you can fully participate in the workshop with no effort on the
part of the instructor, to name two areas.)

Dean