[nfbwatlk] (no subject)

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 00:53:34 UTC 2011

Well, okay.  I think people with vision should take care of it.
Just like people with heart trouble take care of their hearts.
Can people be competent, confident, fulfilled people if they're
blind?  You bet!  But why shouldn't people take care of the
vision they have?  I try to protect my hearing, because I think
that my life would lose a certain dimension without hearing.  I
don't wake up every morning and say, Man, what a bummer that I'm
blind.  But I admit to wondering what it would be like to see the
mountains miles and miles away, or to look at the stars at night,
or to look at the faces of the people I love.  Does it make me
love them any less that I can't see them?  Nope.  But it would
add a dimension to the love I have for them if I could see them.
I can enjoy sitting outside and hearing people describe the
stars, or the mountains to me, and appreciate their descriptions,
but if I could see the mountains or the stars that would add a
dimension that I'm not able to experience.  But I'm not in
mourning about it.  It's just a fact of life.  My husband has
lost much of his high frequency hearing and when I tell him how
wonderful it is to hear the birds singing he says he misses that
sound.  It's no different.    Peace,    Debby