[nfbwatlk] FW: NFB stand on Blind Child Area signs?

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 06:01:16 UTC 2012

Amen to the stuff being put on screens.  I actually called a tv
station in the middle of the night once (and got someone which
surprised the heck out of me).  They had put an advertisement for
a women's shelter for women experiencing domestic violence.  But
they did not verbally state the phone number.  Now, I don't give
a flip that blind folks are a minority and that blind women are
even less represented in the population.  That's no excuse for
that station or any other to share information about a battered
women's shelter and not verbally state the phone number.  It may
be an annoyance or inconvenience if they don't verbally state the
phone number of a business that sells products online, but it
could be someone's life if that blind person didn't have
information about a phone number to reach a shelter in case of
domestic violence.  I think sometimes we have to sort out what is
ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to be accessible and what are nice to haves.
(Can't believe I'm saying that, because as a former ACB member
they kind of say that everything should be accessible.  And in an
ideal world, maybe.  But wow, we need to set priorities.  Okay,
enough of my spouting off.  I really need to go to bed.    Peace,
Debby