[nfbwatlk] two questions

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Mar 9 20:34:39 UTC 2013

Lauren:

I am no expert here. Hence, take my opinions with a lot of salt.

First, almost everything having to do with disabilities and housing comes
under the aegis of the Fair Housing Act rather than the ADA. In fact, what
your landlord is obligated to tell you comes either under the Fair Housing
Act if the apartment complex is large enough or under local ordinances. BTW,
have you called Mary Willows of the NFB of California? I'm certain she'll be
far more "up" on CA law than am I.

Second, even if ADA *does* have something to say, I don't think housing is
considered a "place of public accommodation" as covered by Title III of ADA.
And, frankly, even if there is coverage, you're better off just arranging
your own reader whom you trust to read documents for you.

Perhaps Noel Nightingale or Ben Prows would want to weigh in on this one but
you'll have to wait till Monday for their responses.

Again, I strongly urge you to contact the NFB of California as there may be
local laws that will give you more avenues of redress than Federal law does.

Mike Freeman