[nfbwatlk] KNFB Reader question

Dean Martineau dean at topdotenterprises.com
Sun Sep 28 20:27:58 UTC 2014

Greetings. I am not in the NFB, and I somewhat agree with Elizabeth's sentiments regarding the KNFB answers here, though I am also in favor of people doing what they can to learn the computer when they can rather than taking advantage of others.  I've actually seen people on another mailing list openly say that they saw no point to doing research, or reading documentation, when they can just ask people on said mailing list.  I don't think that was the attitude here, and technology can be pretty bewildering.  Helping hands can be very welcome, and not every leader in the organized blind movement has highly-developped social skills.

Since there seems to me to be some apples versus oranges discussion going on, I'll chime in with my KNFB Reader experience so Elizabeth can use it to base a decision for purchase.

I use a 5S. I never tried any other scanning apps on the 5s, but I did on the 4S, and never got anything even remotely resembling s useful result.

With the Reader, I first tried reading a page from a book.  The app read the page, not as well as my flatbed with K1000 would have done, but quite well enough for casual reading.

Then I tried those little hotel bottles that can either be shampoo, conditioner, or lotion.  It took a few tries, but I was abld to identify several bottles. I found this amazing.

I also read some package information on a couple boxes.  This can vary, but I could read the recipe on a box of brownies and could identify a box of cereal.

With the 4S, results weren't as good.  I couldn't identify the shampoo bottles, and reading of the book page was significantly less accurate.  However, whatever I got from the 4S was vastly superior to anything I had gotten with any other app.

Apparently, there are some problems with the 6 or 6 plus, I'm not sure which.  That sort of thing is a reason to kieep up with input on AppleVis.

I hope this experience proves helpful.

Dean

http://bahaiteachings.org/