[nfbwatlk] NFB Washington Seminar and Legislative Directors seminar

Marci Carpenter mjc59 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 22 06:34:24 UTC 2016

Greetings,

Well, I was supposed to be on a plane first thing Friday morning to attend the Legislative jDirectors seminar at our national center but Alaska Airlines cancelled the flight. The is a huge blizzard forecast for tomorrow and Saturday in the Baltimore/Washington area with 12-20 inches of snow and frequent wind gusts of 35 mph or more. It used to be that airlines and other entities wouldn’t cancel things so much but there have been too many stories of people trapped on subways and buses and in airports. I, and i know others, have memories of tramping through snow and ice during the Washington Seminar. The culture has changed. I am currently booked on a flight on Saturday so we will see what happens. I have told Mike Freeman, Julie Warrington and Danielle Fernandez to use their best judgement to determine whether or not they can get to D.C. It does not help them or our cause for them to get stuck somewhere in the middle of the country.

As of now we have several appointments with our congressional delegation next week. I will wait to see what happens with our ability to attend and then communicate with all on this list when I know more. Regardless of our ability to physically travel to D.C. (The Other Washington) we will communicate with our members of congress about the issues which are important to blind people.

I will keep everyone posted.

Marci