[NFBWATlk] Feds Tell Voc Rehab Agencies Not To Limit Services To In-State Options - Disability Scoop - August 27, 2024

s.colin.wong at gmail.com s.colin.wong at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 19:00:21 UTC 2024

	Just to clarify, there has been no change to the policy; this is a
reiteration and a reclarification of an existing policy. This policy is the
same and has been so for a while. The hope is that different state VR
agencies, such as DSB start following the policy that has already been set
in place. For someone who is interested in going to a Structured Discovery
training center such as the Colorado Center for the Blind or the Louisiana
Center for the Blind, a client/consumer will have to make the justification
that a Structured Discovery training center is different than what is
offered at  OTC or any other services that is able to be provided in state.
If anyone needs to learn more or support with understanding the differences,
please reach out to me. I am the VP of the National Blindness Professional
Certification Board and we certify what centers meet the designation of
being a Structured Discovery training center.
	This is the same for any post-secondary institution. VR/DSB will
support students going to out of state schools and pay for the equivalent
tuition offered by a school in-state unless it can be proven that the
program or program is not offered in-state. For example, if the University
of Washington charges $20,000 for tuition a semester but an equivalent
program is offered in New York that charges $40,000; VR or DSB may only
provide up to $20,000 unless the university in New York is not actually
offered in Washington.
	All in all, if you are interested in going to any type of training
or education outside of Washington, it is doable and this may not be shared
by your counselor. However, this email shared by Noel will be an excellent
part of your justification letter. This is a long and stablished policy but
it is not widely advertised by any VR agency/DSB and you may need to
advocate for the program you are interested in attending to get support. I
am skeptical that this will eliminate pushback, but this will help with the
advocacy portion when anyone has issues with DSB or VR. Thanks for sharing
Noel!

Colin Wong
480-886-4445
s.colin.wong at gmail.com