[Nfbwv-talk] 2014 NFBWV Convention Memo

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Mon Apr 14 13:10:10 UTC 2014

Greetings Fellow Federationists,

I hope you are getting as excited as I am about our 2014 state
convention for the National Federation of the Blind of West Virginia
(NFBWV).  Please find below and attached as a document to this E-mail a
memo telling you all about the upcoming convention and what you need to
do in order to be a part of it.  I would appreciate it if all chapter
presidents and their board members would share this information with
those members who do not have E-mail.

While I am thinking of it, also see if you have any chapter members who
have E-mail and are not yet signed up to be a member of this NFBWV-Talk
List.  If they wish to be signed up for this list, please let me know.

Thank you.

Charlene Smyth, President

CONVENTION MEMORANDUM

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

OF WEST VIRGINIA

September 11, 12, 13, and 14, 2014

Best Western Bridgeport Inn

100 Lodgeville Road

Bridgeport, WV  26330

President, NFB of West Virginia: Charlene Smyth

401 East Olive Street

Apartment 1-A

Bridgeport, WV 26330

Phone: (304) 841-1111

E-Mail:  president at nfbwv.org

          Come one, come all to help us celebrate the sixty-first annual
convention of the National Federation of the Blind of West Virginia
(NFBWV) on September 11, 12, 13, and 14, 2014 at the Best Western
Bridgeport Inn, Bridgeport, West Virginia.

          CONVENTION REGISTRATION: The convention registration fee is
ten dollars per person, and the banquet registration fee is twenty-five
dollars per person regardless of age.

          If you wish to pre-register for the convention and banquet,
your check should be made payable to NFBWV and mailed to

Treasurer Marcus Soulsby, 5309 Venable Avenue, Charleston, WV  25304.
Phone: (304) 206-4044; E-mail: msoulsby at nfbwv.org.

          HOTEL: Hotel guest room rates are $85 per night for up to four
persons per room.  The cutoff date for guaranteeing a room at these
reduced rates is August 12, 2014.  Reservations must be made directly
with the Best Western Bridgeport Inn by calling (304) 842-5411.  Be sure
to let the hotel know you will be attending the convention of the
National Federation of the Blind of West Virginia.

          Reservations must be guaranteed with a credit card or by
submitting pre-payment with tax for one night's lodging.  When
registering at the hotel, you must submit a credit card to cover the
cost of any incidentals that might be billed to your room such as phone
calls, room service, etc.

          If you wish to cancel your room, you must do so no later than
6:00 p.m. on your arrival date.  If you fail to cancel as required, you
will be charged one night's lodging.

          If reservations are made by a chapter rather than by an
individual, chapters can use their FEIN number to be exempted from some
taxes.  Chapters must present some type of official documentation such
as a chapter check in order to receive such exemption.

          Please note that the official check in time is not until 3:00
p.m.; however, if your room happens to be clean and ready before that
time, the hotel may allow you to check into your room.

          Check out time on Sunday, September 14, is 12:00 noon.

All rooms include A Mini-fridge, Microwave, Coffee pot, Flat screen
Hi-definition 32-inch television, Premium cable service, Hair dryer,
Iron & ironing board, and Free wireless and DSL internet service.  Free
Parking is also provided.

          There are no charges for local phone calls.  You cannot
accidentally order a movie using the television remote control in your
room since the hotel does not offer this service.

          An NFBWV registration table will be set up near the lobby.
The dog guide relief area is located near the same exit which leads to
the pool area.

          The hotel's Simmering Pot Family Restaurant offers tasty meals
and excellent service.  Restaurant hours will be posted in the agenda.

          DOOR PRIZES: This hotel does not have a locked closet for
storing door prizes and such; however, door prizes and auction items may
be dropped off at the convention registration desk in the hotel lobby.
The Door Prize Committee, consisting of Harrison County Chapter members,
requests that door prizes not be wrapped, but that each door prize be
accompanied by a brown paper bag.

          MEMBERSHIP AUCTION: Every member is requested to obtain at
least one new item or homemade food item for the auction which will take
place on the evening of Friday, September 12.  Such items should be
attractive with broad-based appeal.  If you are able to obtain nice but
smaller items which might not be suitable for the auction, they may be
placed together in baskets which will be raffled throughout the
convention.  When you have obtained an item, please prepare a brief
written description of the item, along with the name of its contributor
and its approximate value.  Such information should be sent by E-mail to
Sheri Koch, Membership Auction Chairperson, at Kanawha at nfbwv.org.  The
auction is a fund-raiser in which every member can participate and thus
help in a very valuable way to support our many ongoing projects and
initiatives.

          RECEPTION: The Kanawha Valley Chapter will host the Friday
evening reception.  They invite you to join them for an exceptional
time, good fellowship, and an assortment of delicious refreshments.

          SATURDAY NIGHT: Come show your Federationism as we gather
after the banquet on Saturday evening to discover what the Sightless
Workers' Guild has in store for us.

          NAME TAGS: Each chapter should forward to the Eastern
Panhandle Chapter the names of those persons who will be attending the
convention so that name tags can be completed in advance.  Also, please
indicate whether each individual is a voting or non-voting member and
whether he/she prefers to read standard print, large print, or Braille.
This information should be submitted to Keryl Rustin at
martinsburg at nfbwv.org or via phone at (304) 260-6326.

          WVNAPUB: President Karen McDonald will communicate with all
WVNAPUB members regarding plans for this year's meeting.

          RESOLUTIONS: If you have issues or concerns which you believe
ought to be considered by the Resolutions Committee, please submit them
to Chairperson Ed McDonald, 151 South Mineral Street, Keyser, WV  26726.
PHONE:  (304) 788-0129; E-MAIL:  atlarge at nfbwv.org.  Submissions should
be sent to Ed no later than August 12, 2014.  Anything submitted after
this date will not be considered until next year's convention.  The
Resolutions Committee will prepare all resolutions by September 1, 2014
with a copy submitted to the NFBWV president at that time.

          AWARDS: Nominations for The Jacobus tenBroek Federationist of
the Year award should be submitted to Marcus Soulsby via E-mail at
msoulsby at nfbwv.org or by mail at 5309 Venable Avenue, Charleston, WV
25304.  Submissions should be sent no later than August 12, 2014.  Names
received after this date will not be considered.  Marcus will share all
nominations with the members of his committee, Bre Brown and Keryl
Rustin.

          If you have nominations for other awards and honors, please
submit them to the chairperson of the Awards and Honors Committee, Sheri
Koch, 5111 Staunton Avenue SE, Charleston, WV  25304.  PHONE:  (304)
993-5103; E-MAIL:  Kanawha at nfbwv.org.  Nominations received after August
12, 2014, will not be considered.

          SCHOLARSHIPS: Future Federation leaders can be discovered and
nurtured through the NFBWV scholarship program.  If you or anyone you
know would like a scholarship application or additional information
about the program, please contact committee chairperson, Mary Ann
Saunders, 101 Eighth Avenue, Apartment 511, Huntington, WV  25701.
PHONE:  304-697-1434; CELL:  304-360-1482; or E-MAIL:
marysaunders at frontier.com.  The application form can also be downloaded
from our website at www.nfbwv.org.

          A number of convention-related matters such as the Friday
schedule and possible breakfast and lunch options have not yet been
finalized. As additional details are confirmed, I will share this
information with you.

          Meanwhile, if you have any questions or need to forward
information to me, please do so by using the contact information
provided at the beginning of this memo.

          We hope that all of you are able to attend this year's
convention to let your Federation spirit show.  We look forward to
meeting and visiting with you.