[Nfbwv-talk] President Riccobono's Notebook for October 12, 2015

Charlene Smyth cs.nfbwv at frontier.com
Tue Oct 13 10:35:51 UTC 2015

October 12, 2015

President's Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

The Federation works as well as it does because we share resources with each
other. We are looking to revise and update resources that have been made
available to affiliate leaders in the past. If you have developed any
templates or other documents that you believe would be useful to emerging
leaders, please send them to me. I would like to consider them as we build
our knowledge base.

I note that the fall convention season is now swinging in high gear. If your
affiliate is planning to stream the convention, please share the link with
me and I will include it in upcoming notebooks. Our hope is to ultimately
present these links in our NFB Connect mobile app so that they are at our
fingertips.

Warmest regards,

Mark

News:

Connections Database-Changes in Chapters:

Last week we launched the new NFB Connections database that is going to be
the central portal for streamlining our contact and communications data. You
will recall that we have been maintaining a list of all of the NFB
chapters-this information is used to push information through the NFB
Connect mobile app. If you have changes in chapter leadership (mostly
Presidents) or updated information related to new or existing chapters,
please send information to Susan Skaar at the national office at
sskaar at nfb.org <mailto:sskaar at nfb.org>  or extension 2461. Eventually,
updates to our chapter information will be able to be made directly in the
Connections database.

KNFB Reader App Link:
When anyone purchases the KNFB Reader app through a special link, a portion
of the amount paid goes directly to the NFB. Please add one of the buttons
to your affiliate's website so that anyone purchasing through your website
generates the revenue for us. There are two text files attached to this
message. You can forward those files to your webmaster to add one of the
buttons to your affiliate website. The first (smaller) icon is a black and
white button with text "Download on the App Store." The second is a larger
banner button with the KNFB Reader logo and the text "knfbReader Sensotec
nv" and "Download on the App Store".

The links below are to the actual images:

http://linkmaker.itunes.apple.com/images/badges/en-us/badge_appstore-lrg.svg

http://banners.itunes.apple.com/banner.html?partnerId=
<http://banners.itunes.apple.com/banner.html?partnerId=&aId=11lM9p&bt=catalo
g&t=catalog_black&id=849732663&c=us&l=en-US&w=300&h=250&store=apps>
&aId=11lM9p&bt=catalog&t=catalog_black&id=849732663&c=us&l=en-US&w=300&h=250
&store=apps

NFB BELL Program: Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning -
Applications are open!:
The NFB Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning (BELL) program provides
children ages four through twelve with two weeks of concentrated Braille
instruction and non-visual skill development through fun, hands-on learning.
This program is for all blind children who could benefit from Braille
enrichment and independence skill development over the summer. This includes
low-vision children, children who have recently lost their vision, children
who have been blind since birth, and children who have additional
disabilities.

The program is designed to run Monday through Friday for approximately seven
hours each day. In addition to Braille crafts, games, and other engaging
projects, children learn vital independent living skills, benefit from peer
learning and mentoring from blind adults, and may also enjoy field trips to
sites related to the NFB BELL curriculum.

If your affiliate is new to the BELL program and would like to offer a
program for the summer of 2016, please apply at
https://nfb.org/bell-program-online-application. The deadline for new NFB
BELL program applications is October 30, 2015.

NFB BELL Seminar: December 10-13, 2015:

BELL Ringers! If you are planning to conduct a BELL program the summer of
2016, you'll need to attend our NFB BELL Seminar Thursday, December 10
through Sunday, December 13, 2015. Veteran and new states must attend. In
order to attend, you MUST complete a registration form
<https://nfb.org/bell-seminar-registration-form>  by November 13, 2015. Food
and lodging will be provided by the NFB. Additionally, the NFB will pay
travel expenses for up to two representatives from each new state and for
one representative from each veteran state. Please note that the state
coordinator MUST attend this Seminar.

Reminders:

Birthday Bash:
You should have received the Birthday Bash kit last week. The message would
have contained materials to support hosting and marketing parties to
celebrate our anniversary in your state. Please ensure that the materials
have been forwarded to your chapter leaders to that they may plan individual
Birthday Bash celebrations.

Dates to keep in mind:

*         Fall conventions <https://nfb.org/state-conventions>

*         October 2-4, 2015: NFB STEM2U Leadership Academy

*         October 30, 2015: New State BELL Application
<https://nfb.org/bell-program-online-application>  Deadline

*         November 4, 2015: Web Accessibility Training Day
<https://nfb.org/web-accessibility-day>

*         November 5-7, 2015: NFB STEM2U Arizona

*         November 13, 2015: Deadline to register for NFB BELL Seminar,
registration form <https://nfb.org/bell-seminar-registration-form>

*         March 3-5, 2016: NFB STEM2U San Francisco

*         March 10-13, 2016: (TENTATIVE) NFB Leadership Seminar - Baltimore

*         May 17-20, 2016: BLAST, Chicago

*         May 19-21, 2016: NFB STEM2U Minneapolis

*         June 19-25, 2016: NFB EQ (first iteration)

*         July 31-August 6, 2016 (second iteration)

*         August, 2016: WBU-ICEVI General Assembly

blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono, President

National Federation of the Blind

200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place