[Nfbwv-talk] President Riccobono's Notebook for September 14, 2015

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Tue Sep 15 13:43:03 UTC 2015

September 14, 2015
President's Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

The fall convention season is well under way. I had the opportunity to attend our Arizona convention this past weekend, and was pleased to learn about the active program to recruit new members. I urge other affiliates to be as actively engaged with our membership building effort as our Arizona affiliate.

Per my message last week, I am asking affiliates to appoint a KNFB Reader liaison to help promote our mobile application and increase use at the local level. If you have questions about this initiative, please let me know. The link to the Apple App Store in that communication was broken. The correct link is https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/knfbreader/id849732663?mt=8.

News:
GWR Posters:
We now have a limited number of GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS(tm) posters. These landscape posters feature a photograph taken by the drone of our umbrella mosaic and our brand promise, "Together with love, hope, and determination, we transform dreams into reality," as well as a description of the event, and our website. The posters are twenty-four by eighteen inches, and have a landscape orientation.

We recommend using these posters to enhance fundraising activities at the local level. These posters could easily be sold for $5.00 or better. Alternatively, you might offer these posters to donors for any financial contribution they wish to give (you are likely to get more than $5.00 per donation). Getting this beautiful expression of our movement out in the general public will enhance our outreach. Posters are available to affiliates in lots of one hundred for $150.00 plus the UPS shipping cost. Please contact the Independence Market at 410-659-9314, extension 2216, to place your order.

Video:
Because September is Hispanic Heritage month, this week's video<https://youtu.be/eQPU89qXAFg> features Conchita Hernández, chairperson of the NFB Spanish Translation committee, who tells her story in which she learned that blindness was something in which you can also find pride.

Dates to keep in mind:

·         Fall conventions<https://nfb.org/state-conventions>

·         October 2-4, 2015: NFB STEM2U Leadership Academy

·         November 4, 2015: Web Accessibility Training Day<https://nfb.org/web-accessibility-day>

·         November 5-7, 2015: NFB STEM2U Arizona

·         March 3-5, 2016: NFB STEM2U San Francisco

·         May 19-21, 2016: NFB STEM2U Minneapolis

·         June 19-25, 2016: NFB EQ (first iteration)

·         July 31-August 6, 2016 (second iteration)

·         August, 2016: WBU-ICEVI General Assembly

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21230