[Nfbwv-talk] President Riccobono's Notebook for 12/6/16

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Wed Dec 7 20:11:02 UTC 2016

December 6, 2016
President's Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

We have just completed a couple of busy days of meetings by the board of directors of the National Federation of the Blind. On Friday night, we had a donor appreciation dinner for those who have made significant financial contributions to our organization. It is sometimes overwhelming to examine the number of projects and the amount of work we get done in a year as an organization. When you think about it, the primary reason we are as effective as we are is that we have a strong committed corps of members who put in significant time and energy. It is these personal relationships we have with each other that allow us to tackle the big obstacles in our way. I encourage all leaders of the Federation to continue to take the time to build personal relationships with members, even as the pace of things we need to complete seems to increase. If we fail to know each other at a personal level, we will fail to continue to build the type of organization we want.

I wish that Melissa and I could make it to all the great Federation holiday parties that are being planned across the nation. It would be wonderful to share with each of you the great success we have had in 2016. Although we cannot be with you, please know that we appreciate the tremendous work and joyful energy you bring to our organization at all levels.

Critical Actions This Week:
Communications Survey:
As we close out 2016 and plan for 2017 and beyond, we are evaluating various aspects of how we accomplish our organizational goals. To help us plan, we would value your feedback on the NFB's organizational priorities, as well as which forms of communication are most useful and effective for you. This information will help us build a successful communications plan for the future. The survey is confidential and should take approximately five minutes to complete. Please distribute the link (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/B9MR89H) far and wide. We encourage all willing participants to complete the survey by Monday, December 12.

Washington Seminar:
The Holiday Inn Capitol is accepting reservations for the 2017 Washington Seminar, which will occur from January 30-February 2. Please call (877) 572-6951 or go to https://nfb.org/washington-seminar to make your reservations using booking code F7B. The rates are $188 for a room accommodating up to four persons, and the applicable tax is 14.5 percent. These rates are good for check in as early as January 29 and check out by February 3. While the reservation deadline is December 28, I urge you to take care of this now before the holidays get too busy. If you would like to reserve a meeting room during the Washington Seminar, please contact Diane McGeorge before December 10 at (303) 778-1130, extension 219, or send an email to Lisa Bonderson at lbonderson at cocenter.org<mailto:lbonderson at cocenter.org>.

News:
New Product in the Independence Market-KNFB Reader Enterprise:
We are happy to introduce a new license-based version of our award-winning app in a new model called KNFB Reader Enterprise, currently only available from the Independence Market. You can purchase a two-device license for $99.99, a three-device license for $139.99, or a four-device license for $169.99. To purchase an Enterprise license that you can use with multiple devices, including in combination with both iOS and Android devices for yourself, call the Independence Market at (410) 659-9314, extension 2216. You will still be able to purchase KNFB Reader for a single device in the App Store or Play Store. Soon, KNFB Reader Enterprise will also be available through approved distributors. If you are interested in becoming a distributor for KNFB Reader Enterprise, contact Scott White at swhite at nfb.org<mailto:swhite at nfb.org>, or call (410) 659-9314, extension 2231.

NFB-NEWSLINE(r) Ads
NFB-NEWSLINE will be providing holiday ads from the following retailers through December 31, 2016: Ace Hardware, Babies "R" Us, Toys "R" Us, Jo-Ann Fabric, Lowe's, Home Depot, Petco, Publix, Staples, Office Depot, Walgreens, and Kohl's.

Braille Monitor:
The December issue of the Braille Monitor<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm16/bm1611/bm1611tc.htm> is now available.

Slam That!:
Some say that blind students cannot learn science, technology, engineering, or mathematics. The members of the National Federation of the Blind say "Slam that!" Dates and a location are now available for the 2017 NFB Youth Slam-a week-long, hands-on, STEM learning program for one hundred blind and low-vision high school students from across the country. This program of the NFB Jernigan Institute's National Center for Blind Youth in Science will be held July 23-29, 2017, at Towson University in Baltimore, Maryland. Individuals who are interested in volunteering to help the members of the NFB "Slam that!" and are available July 21-29, 2017, should apply at http://www.blindscience.org/nfb-youth-slam-volunteer-page. The deadline to apply is January 31, 2017.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*        December 9, 2016: Putting More STEAM in STEM, a Tactile Art Symposium

*        December 16, 2016: Deadline for Braille Letters from Santa requests<https://nfb.org/santa-letters>

*        January 30, 2017: Great Gathering-In

*        January 30-February 2, 2017: Washington Seminar<https://nfb.org/washington-seminar>

*        March 30-31, 2017: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium

*        March 31, 2017: Deadline for scholarship applications<http://www.nfb.org/scholarships>

*        April 15, 2017: Deadline for Jacob Bolotin Award applications<https://nfb.org/bolotin-award-main>

*        July 10-15, 2017: National Convention, Rosen Shingle Creek Resort, Orlando, Florida<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm16/bm1611/bm161101.htm>

*        July 21-29, 2017: Youth Slam<http://www.blindscience.org/nfb-youth-slam>, Towson University

*        September 12-17, 2017: BLAST<http://blindmerchants.org/blast-2017/>, Nashville, Tennessee

Mark A. Riccobono
President
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

[cid:image001.png at 01D2509C.1E501250]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [cid:image002.png at 01D2509C.1E501250] <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>     [cid:image003.png at 01D2509C.1E501250] <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>     [cid:image004.png at 01D2509C.1E501250] <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.