[Nj-diabetes-division] [Diabetes-talk] Inconsistent Readings with the Prodigy

Vincent Chaney vgc732 at optonline.net
Tue Nov 2 20:52:14 UTC 2010

Lucy,

May I offer an answer to your question from the details you have provided.
With all blood glucose meters, the first step to testing is to wash your
hands in warm water. You are not supposed to use hot water. *If you do not
wash your hands, you may get false readings higher than your true blood
glucose level. If you have hand cream on, have touched food, glue or
anything chemically that could elevate your level, your result would be off
and likely high. You mentioned your client has been blind for six months but
not how long a diabetic. If she is able to recognize a low-sugar episode and
does not have hypoglycemic unawareness, you need to believe in the tingles,
muscle twitching or sweating you may have if you may not have remembered to
wash or able to properly think in the testing due to your sugar level. This
would not be due to the accuracy from the meters.
If I can offer an example of not washing my hands prior to a test...
Once at work I got a reading in the mid 300s, but did not feel like I was
high. I was actually a little puzzled and thought through what may have
caused my reading. With no true cause, I was thinking while I began to sip
my morning coffee. Hmm, did I touch something? I went to the rest-room and
returned to my desk to find my sugar at 150. I then realized I had gotten
milk on my finger tips when I was getting my coffee. This was one of many
examples I have found to give high levels when testing.

Vinny
Vincent Chaney Jr
NFB Diabetes Action Network (DAN) Board of Directors
NFBNJ Diabetes Division President
NJAGDU (NFBNJ Association of Guide Dog Users) Division President
NFBNJ Technology Division Vice President
NFBNJ Resolutions Committee Member
NFBNJ.ORG Webmaster
Mail: vgc732 at optonline.net