[Nj-diabetes-division] [Diabetes-talk] accessible glucommiters

Vincent Chaney vgc732 at optonline.net
Tue Nov 2 21:39:19 UTC 2010

Lauren,

An upgrade would likely help. If you require speech, the Prodigy Voice would
be the unit from Prodigy and not the Autocode, though the Autocode has been
updated since 2008. I believe there is a repeat in the Autocode today. With
the Prodigy Voice and the BioSense Solo you are able to change all settings.
This weekend, for example, those of us who need to alter to standard time
will be changing our meters back one hour. The Prodigy Voice and the
BioSense Solo both will give you test results in memory. The Prodigy Voice
gives you 450 results with the date and time while the Solo is being updated
from our feedback and a review I had submitted to the BioSense Company.
Currently the Solo only gives 10 results with the date only. They have said
this will be expanded in the quantity and will include the time of the test.
With regards to the speech and your limited hearing, I also have an issue
with the teen numbers sounding like the ones like thirty, forty, fifty,
sixty, etc. As all meters are not lab exact, the best thing would be to
retest as you may get a reading close but not exactly the same. If, in your
example of 150, you got 145 you would know that your first was likely the
150 and not the 115 reading. The only problem would be if the first was 150
and the second was 140, you may not be sure if you had heard 140 or 114(sad
face). I have worked with both the Prodigy Voice and the BioSense Solo and
have had this speech problem. In actuality, I have this issue with my
talking watch as well and do not have any troubles with my hearing.
Wishing you the best...

Vinny
Vincent Chaney Jr
NFB Diabetes Action Network (DAN) Board of Directors
NFBNJ Diabetes Division President
NJAGDU (NFBNJ Association of Guide Dog Users) Division President
NFBNJ Technology Division Vice President
NFBNJ Resolutions Committee Member
NFBNJ.ORG Webmaster
Mail: vgc732 at optonline.net