[Njabs-talk] NJABS Conference Call Minutes

Benjamin Vercellone benvercellone at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 19:45:26 UTC 2010

Hello again.
I am posting the minutes again in this email because my last email must
not have gone through correctly.
It is below.
Ben

NJABS Conference Call of January 10, 2010
Our first NJABS conference call of 2010 came to order at 8:03 pm. Our
Madame VP, Shafeka recited the NFB pledge to begin our meeting.
New Business:
8:03 pm
Welcome Ruth Low by Evelyn.
We had the pleasure to have Ruth Loew speaking on the call.
She is the assistant director of the Office of Disabilities Policy at
ETS(Educational Testing Services).
8:04 pm:
Ruth began her presentation.
ETS used to be educational testing service.
It does not stand for that anymore but it still is known as ETS.
Most of her work has to do with graduate level and professional testing.
It includes the GRE.
Other tests also such as the Praxis and the Test of English as a
foreign language.
The ETS sets the accommodations policy for the company of the test.
The accommodations policy for the GRE and praxis test are part of what
Ms. Loew does.
The Biggest concerns for people are applying for accommodations and qualifying.
You have to fill out the accommodation form and apply for the test an
send them together.
The GRE people need your money before you can take the test.
Most of the time you do not have to submit a lot of information when it
comes to blindness.
On the Graduate Record Exam, ETS does have braille and recorded
material, as well as scripts for readers.
A year ago, they developed software for taking the test.
They will send you a CD to install the software so you can try this
program and see if you like it before you take the test.
When you take the actual test, there are enlarged and tactile graphics
in addition to the graphics on the computer.
The test is typically taken at the disability resource center of your college.
They do also have accessible practice materials to be used prior to
taking the test.
These materials are comprehensive for the GRE.
They have materials for other tests, but not as much yet because not
many tests are as universal as the GRE.
They will do their best to provide if you ask for help.
At 8:17 PM Ms. Loew opened up the call for questions.
Quintina asked if the software will work for other tests other than the GRE.
Ruth was not sure.
Some of the Praxis tests are only covered partly at this point.
Eventually more will probably be covered because of technology.
You have to use the practice tools, and they will send you the tools.
It is recommended that you begin practicing well in advance of the date
on which you take the test.  You will get the practice materials
whether you want them or not when it comes to the software.
The program is very customizable.
For the self voicing version, it is a standard linear test and the
questions do not get harder as you go along.
The GRE general has all the material forms available for taking the
test in an accessible format.
The GRE subject tests and Praxis test are not yet fully available
because there is not enough demand yet
Ruth gave her email information at this point.
It is:
Ruth Loew
rloew at ets.org

If you are applying for accommodations, do not make her the first call.
Go to the website (www.ets.org), and call the phone number and go
through the standard procedure.
Ruth left the call at about 8:34 PM.

Old Business:
Evelyn talked about upcoming events.
There is the College Leadership meeting on the 29th.
On the 30th, the students involved go to Baltimore for the Washington Seminar.
The three issues for this year's Washington Seminar are:
Issue 1:  Enhancing Pedestrian Safety:  Ensuring the Blind can Continue
to Travel Safely and Independently
Purpose:  To enact the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act, which will
establish a motor vehicle safety standard to alert blind and other
pedestrians of the presence of silent hybrid and electric vehicles.
Issue 2:  A Technology Bill of Rights for the Blind
Purpose:  To mandate that consumer electronics, home appliances,
kiosks, and electronic office technology provide user interfaces that
are accessible through non-visual means.
Issue 3:  Removing the Earnings Penalty:  A Common Sense Work Incentive
for Blind Social Security Beneficiaries
Purpose:  To promote and facilitate the transition by blind Americans
from Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) beneficiaries to
income-earning, taxpaying, productive members of the American workforce.
If you want more information, talk to Evelyn later.

Attendance was taken toward the end of the call, and the members present were:
Evelyn Valdez - President.
Shafeka Hashash - Vice President.
Ben Vercellone - Secretary/treasurer.
Jonathan Rowan - Board member.
Greg Rivera - Board member.
Melissa Hurff - Board member.
Jessica Scannell
Mary Fernandez.
Quintina Singleton.
Paul Grenier.
Marie Lomax
Kevin Banecker.
Danny Remero
Jason and Jeremy.

The call ended at 8:47 pm

Respectfully submitted by,
Mr. Benjamin Vercellone
Secretary/Treasurer

--
*John said:
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive
ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and
just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse
us from all unrighteousness.
1st John 1:8-9

Benjamin Vercellone
aim: benthoven32