[Njabs-talk] Minutes for NJABS Conference Call for April 10, 2011

Benjamin Vercellone benvercellone at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 16:44:33 UTC 2011

NJABS Conference Call for Sunday, April 10, 2011

Members present:

Evelyn Valdez - President.

Shafeka Hashash -- Vice President.

Ben Vercellone -- Secretary/Treasurer.

Greg Rivera -- Board Member.

Melissa Hurff -- Board Member.

Briel knight.

Isabel Rodriguez.

Kevin Baniker.

Marie Lomax.

Deana Aponte.

Michael Valle.

8:12 PM - Evelyn thanks board then turns it over to Shafeka.

Each presentation here will be at most 10 minutes. Each session will be
an hour. Certain things will have scenarios. There will be a lot of
talking, and everything will be hands on. People from the New York
Association will be there. Some people may be there from Delaware too.
We are inviting kids from Baltimore. There will be teaching about skills
and adaptation. There are challenges raised when you're a blind student.

First is the opening and welcome. 10 AM to 11 AM - meet and greet. There
will be Donets and bagels. You can meet kids outside of state.

Next ?is the first session from 11 to 12. It is about girls and makeup.
They will address difficulties like with mascara and makeup and
eyeliner. They will provide different makeup and eyeliner. There will be
a sighted person there.

The next hour will be both for guys and girls. It is about body language
and how to do body motions and signals correctly. Blind people have
often been awkward because they didn't know how to communicate with
signals correctly.

The next part is how people do their nails. This is not just for girls.
With this knowledge, some people will no longer need to pay so much to
get their nails done.

The next session is knowing your rights. They will discuss things like
the IEP and knowing it and what teachers can and cannot do. This ?is
scenario based. Will also discuss these kinds of issues for college.

Next is about how to be social. Who is responsible to be happy with
social matters? Lots of blind people have only blind friends. We can be
happy more than just once a month when we meet our blind friends.

Next is about what's the best technology for you. You can take a look at
new things available.

Next is how to adapt. How can you make things adaptable like for
college? It is good to know how to adapt, especially for college, where
a lot of materials are not as available. It is good to know how to get
what you need inexpensively.

Next is lunch for an hour which is provided by NJABS. It will be pasta
and chicken. It is a whole hour. This is also social time. It will be in
one place. You have the whole hour.

Next is the blind in sports. Not just about blind sports. Not just beep
ball.

Then the blind in music. We will be talking about things like real DJ's
and national radio broadcast. In NYU News, one of the anchors is blind.

Next is the blind in science. What is available to you?

The last session is from 4:15 to 5. It is one giant forum. That's where
you really have to be honest with yourself. Like if you can or can't do
something. How annoying or upsetting was it to turn 17 and not be able
to drive a car. It is not just complaining of course, but there will be
discussion.

At 5:10 there will be a raffle. There is an item for the raffle
purchased by NJABS that is very exciting. You can buy as many tickets as
you want. There will be Tea shirts from a woman who makes Braille tea
shirts.

This convention is not expensive. None of us will be spending $40. This
whole thing is $10. It even covers the goody bags containing everything
you'll be using there. It also covers the entire lunch which on its own
is worth $20. It covers the whole convention. Anything extra like the
raffle or a tea shirt is all up to you. We want it to be good and not
stingy. There are already over 100 people signed up. This whole event is
from 9:00 AM to 5:00 or 5:30 PM.

We need to preregister. DO this by sending an email to

njabsstudents at gmail.com

containing your name, town, county, and whether you prefer Braille or
large print. It is $10 if you preregister and $15 if you do not. You can
bring the money with you. This is a very social convention. 9 to 10 is
social hour 1. This is an 8 hour convention, and 3 hours are talking to
friends. The rest are worth your while. This is not like a forced
agenda. The whole point is to better yourself. It is coed.

8:34 PM - opened for questions and comments. Evelyn said remember the
snack pack. It has things like chips and pretzels. It is for the day.

With your Registration, you'll have an orientation.

The address of this event is

200 Hackensack Avenue

Hackensack

NJ

07601

This is Shafeka's high school.

We want towns and counties to set up rides. Email your registration info
by May 14 latest.

We have the most awesome raffle. 5 to 10 bucks to participate.

We are going to have flyers written up. We need to circulate them.

Be friends with NJABS on FaceBook. This is an actual friend. It may be
NJABS Shafeka. Then share the info with those you know. Go to the
disability office at your campus and Give them the info. We want people
there and not just the same people as always. People will have laptops
there for registration.

The fee is waved for LEAD students. They are coming as part of the LEAD
program to see how this convention is. NJABS put this whole event
together. It's NJABS for us and by us.

8:40 PM - - last thoughts. Even LEAD students should preregister. We
need a headcount. Write LEAD next to your name if in LEAD. There will be
a lot more info coming. Email Evelyn or Shafeka with questions.

Evelyn's email is:

tweetybaby19 at comcast.net

Shafeka's email is:

shafekah at gmail.com