[Njabs-talk] Fwd: North Carolina EYE Retreat announcement

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 18:26:02 UTC 2013

>From North Carolina:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Alan A. Chase" <aachase1 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 21:52:29 -0500
Subject: North Carolina EYE Retreat announcement
To: dsmithnfb at gmail.com

The North Carolina Association of Blind Students and Governor Morehead
School Alumni Association is sponsoring the 5th annual Envisioning Youth
Empowerment Retreat (EYE Retreat).  The EYE Retreat is a weeklong summer
camp for high school and college students with visual impairments to learn
about college and career transition skills.

The 2013 EYE Retreat is scheduled for Monday, July 29 to Saturday, August 3
on the campus of The Governor Morehead School for the Blind and North
Carolina State University.  The EYE Retreat provides all food and housing
for the week.  Participants are only responsible for the cost of
transportation to and from Raleigh.

In previous years, the EYE Retreat has had participants come from
California, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, South Carolina, Virginia, and
all over North Carolina.  Only 30 slots are available on a first come first
serve basis.

The EYE Retreat curriculum is based on research that indicates what skills
and activities help make college and career transitions most successful for
students with disabilities.  Each year group leaders who are current
college students or employed youth are selected to serve as group leaders
to mentor and support participants through the weeklong retreat.  The EYE
Retreat is based on three main principles include 1) real world
applications, 2) mentoring, and 3) identifying available resources.
Please visit our website at www.eyeretreat.edublogs.com or facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Envisioning-Youth-Empowerment-Retreat/224500254258888
for
more information.

The application is attached.

--
*Alan A. Chase, M.Ed.*
Occupational Course of Study Teacher, New Hanover County Schools

--
Darian Smith

Text the word BLIND to 85944 to donate $10 to the NFB Imagination Fund
via your phone bill.

The time is now to eliminate Subminimum Wages for People with Disabilities

http://www.nfb.org/fairwages

“We know not of our future, but we know of our past. A past that is
made up of our ancestor’s Dreams, their stories and hopes.
These sights once seen, sounds heard and emotions felt are now our
knowledge. The knowledge that guides us to this very moment…”
-Darian Smith