[Njagdu] my letter

MS S TILLETT suetillett at verizon.net
Wed Jan 26 19:42:12 UTC 2011

Here is the letter I just sent off to both legislators.  Please everyone do call or write them, and get anyone you think will do it to join in.
Dear Senator Lesniak,

As the proud owner of my fourth Seeing Eye dog, I was pleased to learn of the possible passage of the guide and police dog protection bill s1154. Although my current dog has never been attacked, all three of her predecessors were.  In the early 70s, when I received my first dog, Princeton did not have a leash law, and being chased and/or attacked was a common occurrence.  My dog never initiated a fight, but once attacked she would fight to the finish to protect me.  Quite often we would take a different route to avoid some of these loose dogs. During one of these incidents my dog received a puncture wound under her eye that was so deep that my vet said that if it abscessed she would be brain injured.  When I got to within a few houses of where this dog lived, I would stop a perfect stranger to ask if they saw a loose dog.  I became so anxious about passing that particular dog on my way to and from work that I took a month's leave of absence and went to Oregon to stay with my brother, knowing that the owners of that dog would be moving soon after I returned.

Our guide dogs are brought up to believe that the world is a safe place, and trained to ignore the overtures of other dogs, whether it be for play or viciousness.  I could enumerate for you many other experiences of attacks on friends' beloved guides, but I am quite sure that you will be hearing from several other New Jersey guide dog users.

I am deeply gratified that you are willing to sponsor s1154, and hope that you will bring it to the floor for a vote as quickly as possible, so that our loving, selfless companions can receive the much needed protection they deserve.  Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Very Gratefully,

Sue Tillett, and Wonder