[Njtechdiv] {Spam?} Fall Sounding Board enclosed

Janie Degenshein jdegen16 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 17 21:43:17 UTC 2013

Hello All New Jersey Technology list serve mmembers.
Wishing you all a very happy and helathy holiday season.

I have enclosed the fall issue of our NFBNJ's Sounding Board for you to
enjoy.
Kindly pass this along as it contains much information along with phone
numbers for contact purposes.
Happy Reading. . .

Putting The Sounding Board together is a passionate endeavor from a
committed team of people. Believe me when I tell you that this magazine
could never be written, edited, designed and readied for publication by the
efforts of just one person. In fact, more than 30 NFB and NFBNJ members
participated in bringing this issue to your mailbox. I owe a huge debt of
gratitude to the editorial team of Mary Jo Partyka, Jerilyn Higgins, and Joe
Ruffalo for their unwavering, professional opinions, as well as their sense
of humor. As you read this issue, I hope you feel pride in the
accomplishments of our members, strength from their commitment to our
organization, and renewed faith in our mission of "changing what it means to
be blind."

Wishing you all the best this holiday season,

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change
the world.  ~Margaret Mead

Katherine Gabry

Editor, The Sounding Board
201.998.9427

***

FALL 2013

The Sounding Board

The Publication of the National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

In This Issue

WhozitJoe Ruffalo

sums up the NFBNJ State Convention

Alice Eaddy & the Gepharts

discuss their first time at

National Convention

CBVI

announces appointment of new director

Mary Jo Partyka

Reviews the best free antivirus software

Discover the Resolutions

We stand for this year!

THE SOUNDING BOARD

Fall 2013

Katherine Gabry, Editor

Jerilyn Higgin & MaryJo Partyka, Co-editors

Published by e-mail and on the Web through Newsline and AudioVision by

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

www.nfbnj.org

Joseph Ruffalo, President

State Affiliate Office

254 Spruce Street

Bloomfield, NJ 07003

e-mail: nfbnj1 at verizon.net

Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests,

letters to the Editor and articles for The Sounding Board should be sent to
the

State Affiliate Office or e-mailed to choirnfb at gmail.com. The editorial
staff reserves the right to edit all articles for space and/or clarity
considerations.

Please Note: The deadline for the Spring issue is April 1, 2014.

Donations should be made payable to the

and sent to the State Affiliate Office.

To subscribe via Newsline, contact Maria Baratta, 800-792-8322.

If you or a friend would like to remember the National Federation of the
Blind

of New Jersey in your will, you can do so by employing the following
language:

“I give, devise and bequeath unto the National Federation of the Blind of
New Jersey, 254 Spruce Street, Bloomfield, NJ 07003, a non-profit
corporation,

the sum of $__ (or “__ percent of my net estate” or “The following stocks
and bonds: __”) to be used for its worthy purposes on behalf of blind
persons.”

Mission Statement

            The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey, Inc. is an
organization  of blind and interested sighted people who plan and carry out
programs; work to improve the quality of life of the blind; provide a means
of collective action for parents of blind children; promote the vocational,
cultural and social advancement of the blind; achieve the integration of the
blind into society on a basis of equality with the sighted; and take action
that will improve the overall condition and standard of living of the blind.

The National Federation of the Blind Pledge

            I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National
Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity and security for
the blind; to support the programs and policies of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

The Sounding Board

   The Sounding Board is the magazine of the National Federation of the
Blind of New Jersey. We publish The Sounding Board twice a year. Our hope is
that through The Sounding Board, our members can keep current with local,
state and national news and issues of concern. We also aspire to provide a
source of hope, inspiration, pride and camaraderie through the personal
stories in our publication.

About 300 readers receive our publication via e-mail, and we also encourage
registration with Newsline Online, which sends publications, sections of
publications or articles you select to your e-mail address for downloading.
We’re pleased that the New Jersey Talking Book and Braille Center airs
excerpts from The Sounding Board on Audiovision.  The Sounding Board is also
available for download in its entirety from our website at www.nfbnj.org and
is broadcast on our radio station, ThruOurEyes.org. We encourage our readers
to share The Sounding Board with family members, teachers, professionals,
neighbors and any other interested parties.  We estimate our circulation to
be in the thousands, as readers from across the country regularly report
that The Sounding Board influences their lives. We hope you enjoy this
issue.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

After the Holidays Party Announcement

Presidential Message, by Joe Ruffalo
1

Legislative Report, by Lynn Reynolds
3

NFBNJ Resolutions Passed at the 2013 Convention
3

The Seeing Eye Applauds NJ Senate (Re Dusty’s Law)
4

First-Timer Attends 2013 National Convention, by Alice Eaddy
5

We Found Our Way to Convention, by Mikayla and Marsha Gephart
6

CBVI Announces New Director, by Pam Gaston
6

Sports Jamboree for Blind and Wheelchair Participants, by Brian Mackey
7

Senior Community Independent Living Services Companion Program
7

Carol Castellano, Class of ’73: Author, Advocate, Teacher and Co-Founder of
Parents of Blind Children – New Jersey
8

Where the Blind Work
9

NFB Krafters Division, by Joyce Kane
10

Attention New Jersey Crafters!
10

Jernigan Institute Conducts Stem-X Program
11

Complete Reviews of the Best Free Antivirus Software Available, submitted by
Jane Degenshein and condensed by Mary Jo Partyka
12

New Blog for Teachers of the Blind and Visually Impaired
14

Looking for a job?
15

A Tribute to Someone Else
15

Are you packed and ready for a natural disaster? by Kathy Rawa
16

NJ ALERT: Sign Up for Emergency Notification
16

NFB Offers New Donation Program
17

Adopt Adaptive Equipment Update, by Lynn Reynolds and Ed Godfrey
17

FYI Information Tidbits
18

>From the Kitchen of Jerilyn Higgins: Corn Bake and Apple Crisp
19

NFBNJ Contact Info
20

Holly thingHolly thingYou are cordially invited to the

National Federation of the Blind of NJ’s 5th Annual

After the Holidays Party

Saturday, January 11, 2014

1:00 pm to 5:00 pm

Knights of Columbus Hall

94 Bridge Street, Belleville, NJ

Access Link accessible

$22 per adult; $12 for children 6- 12 years; free for children 6 & younger

Please include a separate sheet with attendees’ names & phone numbers.

All payments must be received no later than January 4, 2014.

Make your check payable to NFBNJ and mail to:

Joe Ruffalo, President

NFBNJ

254 Spruce Street

Bloomfield NJ 07003

For additional information, call Joe at 973-743-0075.

We’ll have door prizes, a sing–along & a special appearance by jolly old
Santa!

Special note: If you would like an attendee to receive a gift from Santa,
please bring a wrapped gift labeled with the name of the recipient.

MISTLETOE MAGIC MENU

Holiday Tossed Garden Salad with vinaigrette dressing

Chicken Savoy, Eggplant Rollatini, Sausage & Peppers, Pasta with Vodka Sauce

Assorted Cold Cuts and Potato Salad

Chicken Fingers

Rolls and Butter

Homemade Holiday Desserts

Coffee, Tea and Assorted Soft Drinks

Cash bar will be available

Please join us in celebrating the holiday season!

We look forward to seeing all of our members, family and friends!

PRESIDENTIAL MESSAGE

Greetings Fellow Federationists!

As the leaves fall, and we grab the rakes and prepare for winter, we
celebrate another successful year in changing what it means to be blind.  We
are moving forward with progress as we continue to work together in making a
difference!
The NFBNJ celebrated the achievements of its members at our 37th State
Convention held November 8 - 10 in Manahawkin, NJ.  The theme for our
convention was “Who We Are Makes A Difference!” Each attendee   received a
blue ribbon with these words and was given two additional ribbons to give to
others in their community who are making a difference.  Throughout the
weekend, many hotel staff wore their ribbons proudly.
We thanked New Jersey Department of Human Services Commissioner Jennifer
Velez for her presentation on Friday; Jim Gashel the national representative
and his wife Susan for their assistance; Dan Frye, Executive Director of the
NJ CBVI and his wife Renee West as they joined us throughout the weekend;
and our dedicated and hard-working members. Our membership is the driving
force that provides the energy, education and encouragement to keep pushing
beyond barriers. In fact, during my presidential report, I highlighted the
meaning of the word “member”: Motivate, Educate, Motivate, Believe,
Encourage, Respect. As you can see, motivate is mentioned twice.  First, you
must motivate yourself, and then you can motivate others.
The following accomplishments from our members were highlighted:
Mikayla Gephart attended the National Convention as a first timer, attended
a technology camp sponsored by the NJ CBVI and was elected to her school's
Student Council.
Hank Miller, who attended the National Convention as an old timer, plays in
the school band and serves on his school newspaper.
Liz Morgan won first place in the 2013 Braille Readers Are Leaders adult
contest.
Brian Mackey won third place in the 2013 Braille Readers Are Leaders adult
contest.
Serena Cucco received her social work state licensure this past March.
Paul Grier graduated from Columbia University and is employed as a chaplain
in a senior rehabilitation center.
Evelyn Valdez became employed in Washington, D.C. with the Veterans
Administration.
Anthony Lanzilotti, a college student, is an intern for two state
assemblymen.
Alice Eaddy, the chairperson of the Deaf-Blind Committee, recently became
employed.
Carol Castellano was honored and received the Society Award from Douglas
College.
Ben Vercellone enrolled in the Louisiana Tech University master’s program.
Tara Carty and Dan Facchini met at the 2009 State Convention and were
married  this past September.
Kevin Sisco and Christine Crotty met through the White Cane List and are
engaged.

As you can see, our members network, get involved and share with each other
to continue growing and changing attitudes and lives.
This year’s State Convention was hosted by the Glasstown and South Jersey
Shore chapters of the NFBNJ.  Both chapters, which were established less
than two years ago, worked hard and long to achieve the goals of the
convention.  Thanks to the Glasstown Chapter for organizing the tricky tray
auction and to the South Jersey Shore Chapter for organizing the horserace,
music and dancing, and the candy sale.
In summary, thanks to our dedicated, hardworking and committed members who
are making a difference!
Special note: Are you making your plans to attend the National Convention in
Orlando in 2014? Information pertaining to the First Timer Scholarship,
dates and location of the hotel will be available shortly.
Enjoy making a difference!

Upcoming Important Dates

·        January 3 to 5: BELL planning meeting, Baltimore

·        January 11: After The Holidays party, Belleville, Knights of
Columbus

·        January 22: Thru Our Eyes interview with Dr. Maurer, Year End In
Review

·        January 24 to 27: Legislative Committee meetings, Baltimore

·        January 27 to 30: Washington Seminar

·        February 2: Super Bowl, Go Giants and Jets!

Sincerely,

                                                                    Joseph
Ruffalo, President

LEGISLATIVE REPORT

By Lynn Reynolds, Legislative Coordinator

The National Center Governmental Affairs Team has been sending requests to
all states asking for a Call to Action since the Washington Seminar.  As of
this writing, these are the updates for the issues for which we’ve been
advocating:

HR-164 is the Space Available Act which would provide military transport to
disabled military veterans on a stand-by basis. This was included in a
version of the National Defense Authorization Act, which was passed in June.
The Senate bill, S-346, will also hopefully be included in the Defense
Authorization Act this fall.

The TEACHE Act does not have a bill introduced at this time. There has been
conversation between the stakeholders – higher education and publishing
companies – that will lead to a bill that will be introduced this fall.

The Workforce Investment Act was passed in Committee in the Senate.  We have
encouraged action to contact our Senators to consider the following two
points when this bill comes for a full Senate vote: 1) Strike Title V,
Section 511, which would incorporate the subminimum wage language of Section
14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) into the Rehabilitation Act,
and 2) Remove the language that would transfer the Rehabilitation Services
Administration (RSA) to the U.S. Department of Labor.

Thanks to all who have made calls when a Call to Action is circulated.  To
be added to the Legislative Alert list, send your e-mail address to:
lhr1827 at optonline.net.

NFBNJ RESOLUTIONS PASSED AT THE 2013 STATE CONVENTION

Please visit nfbnj.org to view these resolutions in their entirety:

Resolution 2013-01, authored by Vincent Chaney, concerns Dusty’s Law
advocacy and addresses the need for legislation for the protection of guide
dog teams.

Resolution 2013-02, authored by Rick Fox, concerns the exclusion of blind
employees from the New Jersey Commission for the Blind’s technology training
contract and calls upon CBVI to investigate this matter and to redress this
situation, insuring that qualified blind people have an equal opportunity at
Advancing Opportunities under the Commission’s RTAC contract.

Resolution 2013-03, authored by Holly Miller, addresses the need for all
schools to procure, offer and deploy only accessible educational technology
and to urge schools to work with the NFBNJ to insure that all blind students
have equal access to educational technology and information.

Resolution 2013-04, authored by Carol Castellano, welcomes and congratulates
Dr. Dan Frye on his appointment as Executive Director of the New Jersey
CBVI. We look forward to a future of good communication and partnership –
working together toward the goals of equal opportunity and first-class
citizenship for the blind of New Jersey.

THE SEEING EYE APPLAUDS NJ SENATE FOR PROCLAMATION SUPPORTING

SERVICE ANIMALS AND CALLS ON NJ ASSEMBLY TO PASS DUSTY’S LAW

Editor’s Note: This article was reprinted from the original written by
Michele Barlak of The Seeing Eye with her permission.

On August 14, The Seeing Eye participated in NJ's first Assistance Animal
Recognition Day, an event established through a resolution created by
Senator Donald Norcross and signed into law by Governor Chris Christie. The
proclamation of this event highlights the following: (1) the essential role
that Seeing Eye® dogs and other service animals play in the lives of NJ
residents who are disabled and promotes awareness of the rights of persons
with disabilities to be accompanied by their service animals in public
places; (2) the need for pet owners to control their animals in the presence
of service animals, and for local governments and law enforcement agencies
to increase  their efforts to better protect service animals; and (3) alerts
the public to the harm that can be caused when pet owners misrepresent their
dogs as legitimate service animals. New Jersey is one of the few states that
makes it a crime to misrepresent pets as service animals.
Each month many businesses contact The Seeing Eye to express concern about
customers fraudulently claiming they have the right to be accompanied by
their pets or emotional support animals. These pets are often reported to be
disruptive and poorly behaved, jeopardizing the access rights of those
individuals who truly rely on their dogs to live independently.
“Although pet owners may enjoy having their dogs with them everywhere they
go, the experience may not be as pleasurable for the dog,” cautioned Peggy
Gibbon, Director of Canine Development at The Seeing Eye. “Without the
benefit of extensive preparation and training like that given to Seeing Eye
dogs, an ordinarily well-behaved pet dog can quickly become stressed or
fearful when forced to go into an unfamiliar setting.”
Assistance Animal Recognition Day comes on the heels of the Senate's passage
of
Dusty's Law, a bill sponsored by Senator Anthony Bucco, and spearheaded by
The Seeing Eye after one of its puppies named Dusty was attacked and
seriously injured while walking with his volunteer puppy raiser. Dusty was
unable to complete Seeing Eye dog training due to the psychological damage
caused by the attack and his puppy raiser sustained permanent injuries in
the attack. The bill (A-4105), which would penalize the owners of dogs who
attack guide dogs and puppies in training, was passed by the NJ Senate in
2013 but has yet to be heard in the Assembly committee for Law and Public
Safety.
“The Seeing Eye applauds the efforts of Senator Norcross and the NJ
legislature for designating the second Wednesday of every August as
Assistance Animal Recognition Day,” said Seeing Eye President & CEO Jim
Kutsch. “It is our hope that the NJ Assembly will follow the Senate's lead
by hearing and passing Dusty's Law, which would offer real protection to
guide dogs and puppies in training.”
FIRST-TIMER ATTENDS 2013 NATIONAL CONVENTION
By Alice Eaddy

Editor's Note:  Alice Eaddy, who is deaf-blind and uses a guide dog, is a
former teacher and the mother of two adult children. Alice attended the
National Convention in Orlando this past summer on a First-Timers
Scholarship. Alice uses a cochlear implant, which has helped her in her many
endeavors. She is a member of the board of the state affiliate, vice
president of the Glasstown Chapter, assistant secretary of the New Jersey
Guide Dog Users Association, secretary of the Diabetes Division and
coordinator of the state affiliate’s 2013 Meet the Blind Month campaign. “I
don’t let my handicaps stop me from doing anything that I set my mind to,”
she says. As you’ll see from this article, she’s a great example of someone
who espouses the NFB philosophy.

Dreams do come true.  You can do it! Within this organization I’ve succeeded
at many new things and found a lifelong butterfly loving “friend” in the
NFB. My “friend” has watched me blossom and come of age as my duties and
roles continue to evolve as people's expectations for me change. Taking
heed, I’m pioneering for the future, paving a new road of excellence and
involvement. I appreciate the fact that the NFB as a whole has enlightened
me and openly accepted and inspired me to stretch my boundary limits and
push the envelope.
At the National Convention, I attended the deaf-blind seminar, where one of
the goals was to identify deaf-blind people in every state and begin to form
a Deaf-Blind Committee and/or Division in all 50 states. In addition to
taking on the challenge of chairing and establishing the NFBNJ’s Deaf-Blind
Committee/Division, I also agreed to help the states of Georgia and
California form similar deaf-blind organizations.
I can assure you that I am on my way. Others see me at different plateaus
than I dreamed for myself, but I don’t waiver when they ask me to do more or
go further. I have trust in my NFB family and they have a similar trust in
me. I go; I do; and I complete whatever I am charged with, with a smile and
a happy heart. The idea that I am somebody is truly indicative of who I have
become during my years within the NFB. I am now the epitome of my State
Convention’s motto this year: Who we are makes a difference.
So to the NFB I can truthfully say: Onward and upward! We shall overcome the
shackles that bind our minds and in turn control our bodies. Rise up, I say,
as the future is ours and upon us to free the next generation even more.
Advocate, educate and continue to promote the security, equality and
opportunity philosophy.
To those who have not followed the NFB and attended convention: Break free
and dare to become, with others behind and beside you! You have no choice
but to grow and spread your wings, and your whole outlook will be changed. I
always wanted to be as outgoing and as mentally and socially successful as
my children. I have now achieved that.
We Found our Way to Convention

By Mikayla and Marsha Gephart

Editor’s Note:  Mikayla Gephart is a 13-year-old who lives in Marmora and
attends Upper Township Middle School where she’s a member of the choir and
the student counsel. Mikayla and Marsha are active members of the South
Jersey Shore Chapter.

Marsha Gephart and her daughter Mikayla had wanted to attend an NFB National
Convention for some time, but never had the means to do so.  Although she
helped Mikayla apply for a Jernigan Fund First Timer Scholarship, which she
eventually won, Marsha found a unique way to locate additional funds so that
all of Mikayla’s convention expenses would be met. At the suggestion of NJ
Affiliate President Joe Ruffalo, Marsha contacted doctors' offices, mothers’
clubs, Rotary Clubs, Lions Clubs and Elks Lodges for support, and her
efforts proved rewarding: Their convention expenses were covered.

“This was my first time, and it definitely will not be my last!” Mikayla
said. She attended technology seminars, a self-defense class and a meeting
for professionals in blindness education, which she was allowed to observe
because of her desire to be a teacher of the blind.  “One of the best parts
of the convention,” Mikayla said, “was meeting others from all over the
country. The helpfulness of everyone there was amazing. Being part of the
NFB has changed my life for the better.”

CBVI ANNOUNCES NEW DIRECTOR

By Pam Gaston

On behalf of the NJ State Department of Human Services, Frank Scheick and F.
Marcus Stabile, Esq., Interim Executive Directors of the New Jersey
Commission for the Blind, are pleased to announce the appointment of Dr.
Daniel Frye as the new Executive Director of NJCBVI.  Dr. Frye started
October 21, 2013, and fills the vacancy created by Vito DeSantis’ retirement
last June.

Dr. Frye comes to NJCBVI from Maryland, where he served as a management and
program specialist with the Rehabilitation Services Administration with the
U.S. Department of Education.  There, he was responsible for the national
administration of the Federal Randolph-Sheppard program and the Helen Keller
National Center for Deaf-Blind Youth and Adults. Prior to his employment
with the U.S. Department of Education, he served in successive management
positions on the national staff of the NFB and as national advocate for the
Association of Blind Citizens of New Zealand.

Dr. Frye earned his Juris Doctorate at the University of Washington School
of Law and his bachelor of arts degree at Erskine College in South Carolina.
He is a certified mediator and has authored several publications and
articles.

I hope you will join us in welcoming Dr. Frye to our agency.

SPORTS JAMBOREE FOR BLIND AND WHEELCHAIR PARTICIPANTS

By Brian Mackey

Editor’s Note: Brian Mackey is NFBNJ secretary, Garden State Chapter board
member, At Large Chapter secretary and producer of ThruOurEyes with Joe
Ruffalo.

Are you blind or a wheelchair user who would like to participate in sports
activities? Are you age 30 or younger? If you answered “yes” to these
questions, you may be interested in attending the International Sports
Jamboree sponsored by the Verizon West Virginia Pioneers. This annual
sporting event takes place during the third weekend of July at North Bend
State Park in Cairo, West Virginia.  Competitions include a 40-yard dash,
beeping air gun, team relay, beeping basketball free-throw, golf putting
contest, beeping horseshoe toss, beeping Frisbee toss, jam toss, bowling and
the bicycle race.

For further information about the Sports Jamboree, please visit their
website at http://verizonwvapioneers.org/?page_id=110 or contact Jamboree
chairperson Fran Nutter at 304-623-3148 or frannutter at aol.com.

SENIOR COMMUNITY INDEPENDENT LIVING SERVICES COMPANION PROGRAM

The Senior Community Independent Living Services (SCILS) program supports
seniors (age 55 and up) who live with a significant vision impairment in
achieving maximum independence and fuller participation in social,
educational, recreational and employment activities. The program pays
someone of their choosing to provide support, assistance and companionship
for up to 4 hours a week. Activities can include reading mail, driving to
medical appointments, writing letters, helping with shopping, organizing and
labeling food, light housekeeping, organizing closets and cabinets, and
driving to recreational opportunities such as a senior center or a beauty or
barber shop.

Participants identify their own “companion.” Companions must be at least 18
years old; must satisfactorily complete a state and federal background
check; be legally allowed to work in this country; and complete a training
orientation. Companions are not required to possess a driver’s license.
Once a companion has been identified and has successfully completed the
background checks, the participant will work with the program staff to
develop a plan whereby the companion will provide services.  Companions are
paid $15 per hour; this rate is not negotiable.

To find out more about the SCILS program contact the NJ Division of
Disability Services at 609-631-2450 or toll free at 888-285-3036.

Carol Castellano, Class of ’73: Author, Advocate, Teacher and Co-founder of
Parents of Blind Children-New Jersey

Editor’s Note: This Douglass Society honoree bio is reprinted with
permission and courtesy of the Associate Alumnae of Douglass College.

Carol Castellano is the Director of Programs for the National Organization
of Parents of Blind Children and is an author, advocate and president
emerita of Parents of Blind Children-NJ, an organization she co-founded. As
a tireless advocate, she has been integral to state and national efforts to
eliminate discrimination and prejudice against the blind and to help achieve
security, equality and opportunity for blind people. Carol writes frequently
on the education and development of blind children.  Her articles and books
explore helping blind children progress from early literacy experiences to
full participation in the classroom, as well as teaching children the skills
needed for an independent life.

Born and raised in New Jersey, Carol graduated from Douglass College with
high honors in English literature. Her early career in publishing in New
York City led to teaching in a Manhattan private school before her first
child was born, a daughter named Serena. Arriving four months early and
weighing less than a pound and a half, Serena spent nearly eight months in
the neonatal intensive care unit.  When Carol and her husband, Bill Cucco,
Class of 75, brought their newborn home, she was blind and far behind in her
development. It was during this time that the new parents were introduced to
the National Federation of the Blind and the National Organization of
Parents of Blind Children. Carol felt an immediate affinity to the
organizations because they advocated the idea that blind children have a
right to a full and satisfying life.

Serena’s premature birth proved to be a turning point in Carol’s career. She
began researching and writing articles on the prevention of premature birth
and was invited to join a select group of parents, physicians and ethicists
to discuss the difficult issues of decision-making in neonatal intensive
care. The proceedings of this conference resulted in a landmark article, the
first ever to be authored by both physicians and parents, in the medical
journal Pediatrics. Soon Carol began publishing pieces about raising a blind
baby and, later, about her daughter’s school years. Carol’s advocacy secured
the way for Serena to attend public school in New Jersey.  Serena graduated
from college and recently earned a master’s degree at Rutgers.

Carol raised awareness about threats to education resources as a member of
the Statewide Consumer Advisory Board of the New Jersey Commission for the
Blind and Visually Impaired, and advocated for better services through the
creation of the New Jersey chapter of Parents of Blind Children more than 20
years ago. On a national level, Carol served as vice president and then
president of the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children, before
becoming the Director of Programs in 2011.  She was also the first sighted
person to serve on the National Federation of the Blind Scholarship
Committee.

Carol is the author of four books, The Bridge to Braille: Reading and School
Success for the Young Blind Child, Because Books Matter, Making It Work:
Educating the Blind/Visually Impaired Student in the Regular School, and
Getting Ready for College Begins in Third Grade: Working Toward an
Independent Future for Your Young Blind Child. For more than two decades,
Carol has co-edited In Touch, POBC-NJ’s newsletter, and conducted parent
seminars and educator training in states across the country.  After several
years of service on the advisory committee, Carol served for two years as
Outreach and Recruitment Coordinator for The College of New Jersey’s Teacher
of the Blind/Visually Impaired Program where she developed curriculum and
co-taught courses.

Carol has served on the State Human Services Advisory Council and the State
Rehabilitation Council and has collaborated on many projects with the New
Jersey Commission for the Blind.  She is the recipient of the Diana
Cuthbertson Parent-Professional Collaboration Award from the Statewide
Parent Advocacy Network, the New Jersey Commission for the Blind Mary O’Donnell
Advocacy Award, and the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children
Twig Award.

Where the Blind Work
>From the NFB Website: https://nfb.org/wtbw-main

What kind of work are blind people doing?  How do they do it?  Why should
employers hire a blind person? Blind people are working in a wide variety of
jobs doing work that people mistakenly believe requires sight.  Blind
students are often “tracked” into certain fields, whether they are
interested in them or not.  This information is taken from the Where the
Blind Work listing.
The Jernigan Institute, Employment Committee and the Writers Division have a
joint project, and we need your help. We’re building an employment resource
of job descriptions and need your information concerning how, you, as a
blind person, are able to compete within the job market. Where the Blind
Work is an informational resource that can assist youth as they plan for
future employment and adults who are looking to change jobs and/or careers.
We will accept a description of your present job, or one that you’ve been
engaged in recently, or both.
If you would like to fill out a questionnaire or to read about what jobs
blind people are performing, please visit the website:
www.nfb.org/wtbw/main.

NFB’S KRAFTERS DIVISION
By Joyce Kane

Editor’s Note: NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo will interview Joyce on the
December 18 edition of ThruOurEyes. Check out the ThruOurEyes website at
www.thruoureyes.org.

I am happy to tell you that the NFB Krafters Division has just celebrated
its 5th anniversary! In the first five years, we’ve spread across the USA,
including Alaska, and we have members in Canada, India and South Africa.
Last year we provided 53 different classes via telephone conference calls,
SKYPE and e-mail.  Our origami teacher lives in South Africa and gives
classes via e-mail.

We have Monday Night Chats that cover so many different topics! For example:
how to take credit card payments for your sales at a craft show, how to make
baskets and the different tools and materials that can be used, the
different kinds of scissors available, and what kinds of adhesives and glues
work best for which projects.

We have a listserv that folks can join and ask questions and help each other
out. Most of our teachers are visually impaired/blind or have taught blind
folks crafting.  Hey, some of us blind folks have taught the sighted
crafting, too.  I teach crafting every year in a Girl Scout Camp in
Connecticut, and all the girls are sighted.  I get paid for it, too!

Where else can you meet blind crafters who will share their love of
crafting, teach others and learn how to craft?  Where else can you take 53
classes a year and not have to get a ride, have another blind person put
into words what your hands are supposed to be doing and, here comes the best
part, it costs you $10 per year to become a paid member of the NFB Krafters
Division and get all of this for free.

I’m excited to share this information about NFB Krafters Korner on your show
with folks. Please tune in on Wednesday, December 18!

ATTENTION NEW JERSEY CRAFTERS!

Pathways to Independence in Kearny offers a Crafters Guild for artists and
crafters who are blind or visually impaired. The program is funded by CBVI.
Program coordinators sell the work of the artists and crafters at arts and
crafts fairs. One hundred percent of the sale price is returned to the
artist or crafter. Some of the work sold by the Crafters Guild includes fine
art paintings, prints and notecards, hand-painted notecards, crochet
blankets, leather works, woodworking, caning, sewing and jewelry. For more
information on this program, or if you're interested in selling your art
work, please contact Sue Sherry at Pathways to Independence: 732-910-0211.

Jernigan Institute Conducts STEM-X Program

Editor’s Note: Portions of this article were reprinted from the nfb.org
website and from two parents whose children attended this exciting program.

One of the highlights of this past summer was the STEM-X program conducted
by the Jernigan Institute. STEM-X stands for Science, Technology,
Engineering and Math to the Extreme. This inquiry-based program provides
students with learning opportunities in disciplines ranging from engineering
and robotics to the science of cooking. The program was held on the campus
of Towson University, near Baltimore, July 29 - August 3, and served 50
blind high school students from around the country.

The “X” in the program’s title draws inspiration from the aerospace
community where, historically, programs and missions have utilized the
letter as an abbreviation for exploration, and as a statement that the
effort seeks new solutions and new discoveries that surpass previously
assumed barriers to scientific advancement.

According to Hannah Hashash, whose son Sammi attended STEM-X this past July,
“This was a time of many firsts for Sammi and an eye-opening experience for
the whole family.   We drove down that Monday, and as we got closer to our
destination, I could tell Sammi was becoming more anxious. He worried about
not knowing anyone at the program. But Sammi is always up for a challenge. I
was thrilled when we'd call to check on him, and he’d tell us he’d call us
back later because he was eating and wanted to hang out with everyone. He
made friends within his group and with the others. It was his ‘I'll show you
attitude’ that opened the door.”

What did the Stem-X program accomplish for Sammi and his family? According
to his mother, STEM-X gave them a young man more confident in his own skin,
who now had an experience similar to going away to college: Making new
friends, sleeping in a dorm, packing and unpacking, relying on mobility
skills and focusing just on himself as an individual, away from his
siblings.  Although Sammi learned science techniques that will be invaluable
to him and his sighted chemistry teacher,   his mother’s observations showed
that he also learned the socialization skills that will help him throughout
his life.

According to parent Ke Hong, “The STEM-X program was great.  My daughter
Kristie enjoyed it very much. This program provided the visually impaired
high school students with a great opportunity to learn about sciences and
technology in ways that are suitable for them. Hopefully, the participants
came away with greater interests in STEM. Also, the mentors did a great job
by sharing their experiences and acting as role models for the students.”

Based on these assessments, it sounds like the STEM-X program was a
stimulating and memorable experience for everyone.

COMPLETE REVIEWS OF THE BEST FREE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE AVAILABLE
Submitted by Jane Degenshein and

Condensed by MaryJo Partyka from an article by Stacy Fisher, About.com Guide

One nasty virus could expose your financial information or stop your
computer from working at all. What you need is the best antivirus software
possible on your computer. Many companies offer free versions of their
popular antivirus programs for home users. Below is an alphabetical list of
sources for the best free antivirus protection.

1.     avast! Free Antivirus 8 has fully functioning antivirus and
antispyware engines protecting your PC from threats from the Internet, your
files, e-mails, and even  instant messages. avast! Free Antivirus 8 supports
Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP.

2.  AVG Free Antivirus 2013 is a full-fledged antivirus and antispyware
tool, and includes an e-mail scanner, link scanner, scheduled scanning
options, automatic updates and more.  Works on Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows
Vista and Windows XP. Free download at avg.com. Free Virus
RemovalPC-Cleaner.sparktrust.com. Quick Virus Removal in 2 minutes.
“No-Cost” Download.

3.  Avira Free Antivirus 2013 protects you from viruses, Trojans, worms,
spyware, adware and various other kinds of malware, making it a fully
functional anti-malware tool and certainly one of the best free antivirus
programs. Works on Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP. Avira also makes
Avira Free for Linux.

4.  Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is incredibly easy to set up and
configure, uses very little system resources so it won't slow down your
computer, and doesn't constantly suggest that you upgrade to their premium
offerings. Fully supports Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows
XP.

5.  Comodo Antivirus 6, which protects you from several threat sources,
works on Windows 7 and Windows Vista. It ranks as a best free antivirus
solution almost solely because of its Defense+ technology that, by default,
assumes unknown files are threats instead of safe. Although it sounds like
it might cause problems,   Comodo Antivirus utilizes some other technologies
to make the whole process silent but still very effective.

6.  Immunet FREE Antivirus 3 is a unique, cloud-based antivirus program,
much like Panda Cloud Antivirus and Kingsoft Antivirus. Immunet FREE
Antivirus 3 protects your computer from bots, worms, viruses, Trojans,
keyloggers and spyware. Works on Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP.
You must also be connected to the Internet at all times. You never have to
update it, it has completely free telephone-based support, and it can be run
alongside some of the other best free antivirus tools in this list,
increasing your overall protection.

7. Kingsoft Antivirus 2012 is a cloud-based antivirus program like Panda
Cloud Antivirus and Immunet FREE Antivirus. Kingsoft Antivirus keeps an eye
out for malware locally, when downloading files, while chatting on IM and
more. Works on Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP. Kingsoft
Antivirus 2012 ranks among the best free antivirus programs, especially
among the cloud-based ones, because it also protects you when you're not
online, a premium offering with some of the other cloud services.

8.  Microsoft Security Essentials is a fantastic antivirus program that
protects you from all sorts of malware, updates automatically and is
incredibly easy to use. Supports Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP.
The anti-malware protection in MSE is part of the built-in Windows Defender
tool in Windows 8.

9.  Panda Cloud Antivirus Free 2 protects you from several kinds of malware
threats - viruses, worms, Trojans, adware. What makes Panda Cloud Antivirus
Free 2 one of the best free antivirus programs is that it does its job from
“the cloud,” meaning the hard antivirus work that typically slows down a
computer is done on computers elsewhere on the Internet, freeing up your
computer to work like it should and protecting you from malware even better.
Supports Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP. Tip: Panda
Cloud Antivirus Free tries to install a toolbar and change your browser's
home page and default search provider during the installation process.
Uncheck these boxes before continuing if you don't want them. None of these
changes is required to use Panda Cloud Antivirus.

10. FortiClient 5 is an antivirus, web filtering, firewall, parental
control, optimization, (and then some) program that’s powerful enough for a
business to use. It’s more accurately referred to as a “threat management”
tool. Works on Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP.
FortiClient is easy to set up, automatically updates its virus definition
files, does a full system scan once a week, and much more, all without you
ever having to worry about it.

New Blog for Teachers of the Blind and Visually Impaired

Editor’s Note: This article was reprinted with permission from its author
Edward C. Bell, PhD CRC and NOMC.  Dr.  Bell is the Director of the
Professional Development and Research Institute on Blindness at Louisiana
Tech University.

The team at the Professional Development and Research Institute on Blindness
at Louisiana Tech University needs your help promoting our newest resource
for educators, prospective teachers, employers and anyone who works with
blind children and adults. This new resource, a blog for teachers of the
blind, features:

·        The latest research on blindness to help teachers  to better answer
questions from educators and the general public, which will improve the
opportunities available for blind students and professionals;

·        Methods for teaching Braille and cane travel that will increase the
effectiveness of instruction, allowing blind people to lead active, truly
independent lives;

·        Philosophy-rich speeches and articles leading the public to see
blind people as equal participants in their training, education and
employment;

·        Perspectives from current students and alumni about why they find
it rewarding to teach blind students and adults, encouraging others to join
the growing profession; and

·        Interviews with experienced professionals, which will create
nationwide networking opportunities for teachers of the blind that will
foster collaboration on the latest, research-based instructional methods.

This new resource is available at: http://www.pdrib.com/blog/. We are asking
that you please subscribe to the blog via RSS or e-mail and fan us on
Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/PDRIB210). Then, as we add new posts,
please share them with your social networks, teachers and friends.

LOOKING FOR A JOB?

Here are two sources that may prove helpful:
FIRST, the Sierra Group has designed a nationwide website called
RecruitDisability.org to help combat the high unemployment rate among people
with disabilities. The site links millions of unemployed and underemployed
Americans with disabilities to employment opportunities.
The RecruitDisability job board already includes the resumes of thousands of
job seekers with disabilities and open positions nationwide. Job seekers can
post for free! Please visit RecruitDisability.org for more information on
employment opportunities. You can also learn more about the Sierra Group
programs at: http://www.thesierragroupfoundation.org. – submitted by Serena
Cucco

Second, the Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) has posted a list
of federal employment resources that provide quick and efficient access to
information and technical assistance related to the employment of
individuals with disabilities within the federal government.  You can find
these resources on the RSA website at:

·         http://rsa.ed.gov/resources.cfm (Resources by Program tab)

·         http://rsa.ed.gov/programs.cfm?pc=basic-vr (shows state grant
information)

·         By searching http://rsa.ed.gov for "employment"

·         On http://rsa.ed.gov/display.cfm?pageid=433 (bookmarkable link)

A TRIBUTE TO SOMEONE ELSE

Author Unknown

     We were saddened to learn recently of the death of one of our most
valued acquaintances, Someone Else.  Someone’s passing created a vacancy
that will
indeed be difficult to fill.

Else was with us for many years and for every one of those years did far
more than a normal person's share of work. Whenever leadership was needed,
this wonderful person was looked to bring results. “Someone Else can work
with that group,” we all said.

Whenever there was a job to do, one name was on every list: Someone Else!
And it was common knowledge that Someone Else was generous toward volunteer
organizations. If there was a financial need, everyone just assumed that
Someone Else would make up the difference.

Were the truth known, we all expected far too much of Someone Else. Now
Someone Else is gone! We wonder what we are going to do. Someone Else left a
model to follow, but we wonder WHO is going to do all those things that
Someone Else did?

ARE YOU PACKED AND READY FOR A NATURAL DISASTER?

By Kathy Rawa

Editor’s Note: Kathy Rawa is president of the South Jersey Shore Chapter.

After Hurricane Sandy, all of us are looking at life and survival in a
different manner. This past July, I had the pleasure of meeting David
Fisher, of GrabPak, at a local event in Egg Harbor where I saw various types
of survival kits, including those pertinent to guide dog users.  Because I
expressed concern about how blind persons would be able to identify items in
the kit, Mr. Fisher took it upon himself to purchase a Braille label maker,
to learn basic Braille, and to label the items in Braille and large print.
The kits are equipped with a 5-year shelf life, food and water, a light
stick with a lanyard for an individual to put around his neck so he can be
found more easily in the dark, a crank-powered flashlight, a rescue whistle,
an AM/FM radio, a solar blanket, a rain poncho, sunscreen and bug repellent
towelettes, a folding white cane, a crank-powered cell phone charger, and a
hygiene kit with items such as deodorant, toothbrush and tissues. Mr. Fisher
was one of the vendors at this year’s State Convention in Manahawkin, and he
displayed some of his products and explained their importance to interested
persons.  For more information, please visit his website at
sales at grabpak.com.

NJ Alert: Sign up for Emergency NotificationS

The State of New Jersey has created NJ Alert, a free, voluntary and
confidential emergency alerting system that allows State Emergency
Management officials to send e-mail or text messages to cell phones and
other e-mail enabled devices during an emergency event. Sign up for NJ Alert
by going to http://www.state.nj.us/njoem/.

Special Needs Registry
NJ residents with special needs are encouraged to add their personal
information to the Special Needs Registry. Learn more about this program by
calling 2-1-1.

Disaster Readiness Guide Available
To help people with disabilities prepare for natural disasters and other
emergency situations, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has created a
guide booklet entitled Prepare for Emergencies Now: Information for People
with Disabilities which can be accessed at
http//www.ready.gov/individuals-access-functional-needs. Large print and
braille versions are also available by calling 1-800-480-2520 or e-mailing
fema-publications-wharehouse at fema.gov.

NFB OFFERS NEW DONATION PROGRAM

Would you like to donate to a worthy cause and receive a financial benefit
on your next income tax return? Do you have or know anyone who has a car
they are trying to sell or find a home for?  If you can answer “yes” to
either of these questions, you may be interested in becoming involved in the
NFB’s Vehicle Donation Program.  In March 2013, this program was launched in
partnership with an agency called Vehicles for Charity. The agency processes
all the vehicle donations, and the NFB receives $500 for each donated
vehicle. Vehicles that can be donated include: cars, vans, RVs, motorcycles,
trucks,   tractors and boats.  The vehicle doesn’t have to be running, but
it must have an engine and be towable.  The title to the vehicle must be in
the donor’s name, and the donor must provide information about the title and
the condition of the car when contacting the Vehicle Donation Program.  Upon
providing this information, a representative will contact donors to schedule
vehicle pickups. If you would like further information on this program,
please call 855-659-9314 or visit the website at www.carshelpingthe
blind.org.

ADOPT ADAPTIVE EQUIPMENT UPDATE

By Lynn Reynolds and Ed Godfrey

Greetings to all! This past August, the NFBNJ forwarded e-mails looking to
provide a home for two CCTVs. Within minutes, both CCTVs were adopted. The
Adopt Adaptive Equipment program was established years ago. According to our
records, we’ve found homes for dozens of pieces of equipment that were no
longer needed by the original owners and donated to our program. We’ve made
a home for CCTVs, Braille writers, copiers and computers.

The procedures follow: If you have useable and working equipment that you
want to donate, or if you’re in need of equipment, please contact us. We’ll
match the donor and the person in need. It’s up to each of you to make
arrangements to pick up the equipment. All transactions are at no cost.

Cash donations are also accepted and should be mailed to: NFBNJ, 254 Spruce
Street, Bloomfield, NJ, 07003. On the memo line, please write AAP.

Once again, this is a free program. The needed list is always longer than
the donor list, however, please contact Lynn or Ed with your request.
Contact info follows: Lynn Reynolds – phone: 908.251.5510, e-mail:
lhr1827 at optonline.net

Ed Godfrey – phone: 856.848.6372, e-mail: egodfrey137 at comcast.net

Thanks to all who have made their equipment available to be adopted, and
thanks to those who have adopted the equipment.

FYI INFORMATION TIDBITS

·         DO YOU LIKE TO WATCH MOVIES but have difficulty following the
action? If so, you might enjoy watching video-described movies. You can
download movies on your computer provided you don’t have a pro Sendspace
account from Sendspace. The website is www.blindmicemart.com.  It’s Blind
Mice Megamall.  They have a movie vault for members only so it's all free;
just sign up with an e-mail and password.
·        MICROSOFT offers a new service for computer users with
disabilities. Call 1-800-936-5900 for more information.
·        In July 2007 at the National Convention, I learned about a company
from Normal, Illinois called En-Vision America that created a product called
ScripTalk. A ScripTalk Station provides talking prescription labels for any
drug container or a pill bottle of any shape or size. It will read all of
the personal information found on the bottle itself. On March 28, 2013,
WalMart decided to expand this service to all of its participating
pharmacies across the U.S. For more information, contact En-Vision America
at 1-800-890-1180, extension 158. – submitted by Jimmy Hulme

·        Are you, or do you know anyone who is, struggling with the deficits
caused by a combined vision and hearing loss?  Do you live in New Jersey?
If you can answer “yes” to these questions, you may be interested in helping
us to form a Deaf-Blind Committee. To get involved in this committee, please
contact Alice Eaddy, NFB Deaf-Blind Committee Chairperson, at 856-765-0601,
or by e-mail at  aseanj at netzero.net.

·        FOCUS GROUP ON RUNNING FOOD ENTREPRENEURSHIPS: Have you ever
contemplated the possibility of running your own food-related business
separate and apart from the establishments run by the Business Enterprise
Program (BEP)? Or perhaps you would like to make a prize recipe for jam,
candy, etc., and sell your product to the public? If so, you’re invited to
participate in a focus group to determine how to make your entrepreneurship
become a reality. Please contact Annemarie Cooke at Elijah’s Promise,
Promise Culinary School, which can be reached by calling 732-545-900,
extension 121 or e-mailing aec732 at gmail.com.  Please put the words “Focus
Group” in the Subject line.

FROM THE KITCHEN OF JERILYN HIGGINS

Editor’s Note: Jerilyn is an active member of the NFBNJ and serves as first
vice president, chapter president, scholarship chairperson and co-editor of
The Sounding Board.  She has taught activities of daily living for many
years and is the instructor for adaptive kitchen skills for the NJ
Foundation for the Blind in Denville.  In her spare time, Jerilyn loves to
cook for her family.

Corn Bake

Ingredients:

1 box Jiffy corn bread mix (8.5 ounce size)

1 15-ounce can of corn niblets

1 can of creamed corn

1 stick butter, softened

1 cup sour cream

2 large eggs

Directions:

1.     Preheat oven to 375 degrees

2.     Into a large bowl, empty the corn bread mix.  Add the softened
butter, stir and add the sour cream, eggs and the corn niblets and the can
of creamed corn. Stir until all ingredients are fully incorporated.

3.     Pour into a 9-by-13 inch pan

4.     Bake for 40 minutes for corn bread and 20 minutes if you are making
muffins

Apple Crisp

Ingredients:

6 apples, cored and sliced into bite-sized pieces

½ cup flour

½ cup butter, softened

½ cup granulated sugar

½ cup brown sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

1 cup quick oats

Directions:

1.     Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2.     Arrange apples in buttered 9 x 13 baking pan

3.     Combine all other ingredients in a bowl and mix well. The mixture
should be crumbly.

4.     Sprinkle apples with some additional brown sugar. Spoon the crumb
mixture over the apples, covering them as thoroughly as possible. Bake for
40 minutes.

NFBNJ CONTACT INFORMATION

NFB National Center

   President

      Marc Maurer             410-659-9314

NFB State Affiliate

   President

      Joseph Ruffalo          973-743-0075

   First Vice President

      Jerilyn Higgins           973-239-8874

   Second Vice President

      Mary Jo Partyka       609-888-5459

   Secretary

      Brian Mackey            609-953-6988

   Treasurer

      Tom Ferry                  973-694-5922

   Board Members

      Linda DeBerardinis  856-764-7014

      Alice Eaddy                856-765-0601

      Dan Facchini              201-906-8655

      Rebecca Irvin-Bryant 973-732-6559

      Anthony Lanzilotti   267-414-4010

      Lynn Reynolds          908-251-5510

NFBNJ Chapters

At-Large Chapter

      Fourth Thurs, 8 p.m.
712-432-0180, enter code 460994

Capital Chapter

Third Sat., Hamilton Twp Public Library, 10 a.m. - noon

Mary Jo Partyka          609-888-5459

                             choirnfb at gmail.com

Central Jersey Chapter

Second Sat., Grace Lutheran Church, Perth Amboy, 9:30 a.m. - noon

Jerilyn Higgins              973-239-8874

                       jdhiggins3 at verizon.net

Garden State Chapter

Third Sat., Kennedy Memorial Hospital

auditorium, Cherry Hill, 10 a.m.

   Ed Godfrey                    856-848-6372

                    egodfrey137 at comcast.net

Glasstown Chapter

First Sat., Trinity Episcopal Church, 800 E. Wood St., Vineland
11 a.m.

Lydia Keller                   856-696-3518

                      lydiakeller at comcast.net

Northeast Chapter

Third Sat., St. Mathew’s Church, Secaucus, 10 a.m. coffee, meeting at 11
a.m.                        www.ThruOurEyes.org

   Dan Facchini                 201-906-8655

                                   danfb at verizon.net

Northern Chapter

Third Sat., Free Public Library, 3rd Floor, Newark, 10 a.m. - noon

   Rebecca Bryant            973-723-6559

                           rirvin14 at optonline.net

South Jersey Shore Chapter

Third Sat., Ocean City Free Public Library, Ocean City, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.

Kathy Rawa                   609-965-3734

                   SoJerzyShor609 at aol.com

NFB of NJ Divisions

Association of Blind Merchants

   Dan Facchini                 201-906-8655

                                   danfb at verizon.net

Association of Blind Students

Shafeka Hashash        551-697-1568

                            shafekah at gmail.com

Association of Guide Dog Users

Vincent Chaney           732-251-8650

                      vgc732 at optonline.net

Association of Senior Blind

   Jane Degenshein         973-736-5785

                          Jdegen16 at comcast.net

Braille Division

Mary Jo Partyka          609-888-5459

choirnfb at gmail.com

Diabetes Division

   Vincent Chaney               732-251-8650

                            vgc732 at optonline.net

Parents of Blind Children

   Holly Miller                   732-542-3633

                                   pobcnj at gmail.com

Technology Division

      Jane Degenshein      973-736-5785

                          Jdegen16 at comcast.net

Programs, Projects & Committees

Adopt Adaptive Equipment

   Lynn Reynolds             908-251-5510

                           lhr1827 at optonline.net

   Ed Godfrey                    856-848-6372

                    egodfrey137 at comcast.net

Deaf-Blind Committee

   Alice Eaddy, Chair       856-765-0601

                                 aseanj at netzero.net

Blind Children’s Resource Center

   Carol Castellano          973-377-0976

                            www.blindchildren.org

                     blindchildren at verizon.net

Braille Mentoring Program

   Sue Tillett                       609-924-7489

                              suetillett at verizon.net

   Mary Jo Partyka          609-888-5459

                                choirnfb at gmail.com

Building Chapters & Membership

   Rick Fox                          973-743-6107

                      richardfox1 at comcast.net

Legislative Coordinator

   Lynn Reynolds             908-251-5510

                           lhr1827 at optonline.net

NFB Newsline

Jerilyn Higgins              973-239-8874

                       jdhiggins3 at verizon.net

Press Release Committee

   Tara Carty                     973-650-4438

                               sugarfreet at gmail.com
Scholarship

   Jerilyn Higgins              973-239-8874

                          jdhiggins3 at verizon.net

Thru Our Eyes/Internet Radio

Lenny Azzarone           888-572-0141

                        www.ThruOurEyes.org

     lenny at digitalvdo.emmcloud.com

CHAPTER AND DIVISION UPDATES CAN BE FOUND ON THE NFBNJ WEBSITE

Deadline for the Spring 2014 issue is April 1, 2014.

CHECK US OUT ON THE WEB AT

www.nfbnj.org    www.blindchildren.org    www.thruoureyes.org

To receive The Sounding Board and other information via e-mail,

please contact Brian Mackey at bmackey88 at gmail.com
609-953-6988

Keep Smiling,
Janie Degenshein
"Happiness isn't having what you want, but wanting what you already have"
Access Tech Consultant
Facilitator of ECHO
(Eyes Closed Hearts Open)
President, National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey Senior Division
www.carshelpingtheblind.org
or call 855 659 9314
Co-host of OTBS On The Bright Side
www.thruoureyes.org/brightside.html