[Njtechdiv] SSA website changes access

Mario mrb620 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 4 15:11:09 UTC 2016

Changes to Social Security Website Lock Some Seniors Out
http://time.com/money/4434100/social-security-website-two-factor-authentication/

Karen Damato
Aug. 1, 2016 Updated: Aug. 2, 2016 11:16 AM ET

The Social Security Administration has tightened security on its
website. And that added protection is likely to keep some seniors from
being able to access their Social Security accounts online.

The agency is now requiring people to use a security code sent by text
message to a cellphone, in addition to a user name and password, to log
into a “my Social Security” account...

Such “multi factor authentication” is widely used by financial
institutions and other organizations to limit unauthorized access...

Social Security notes on its website that it added the requirement to
protect users and comply with an executive order requiring federal
agencies to beef up online security...

At Social Security, spokeswoman Roxanne Williamson said,“We understand
that not everyone has a cellphone or cell service. This is our first
step in adding security, and we expect future enhancements will provide
other options.”

not on the web article: If you don't have a cell phone, you can call the
SSA at 800-772-1213 and obtain the information you are requesting from a
human agent.