[Njtechdiv] Microsoft reissues botched Windows Live Mail 2012 patch KB 3093594

Mario mrb620 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 3 19:57:30 UTC 2016

don't panic... just be aware. for references that indicate a link to
another article/something, visit the source. the article is out of date,
I know, but I can't find anything that's more recent. if anyone can,
please post about it.
also, I don't know if those who use Thunderbird will be affected, so I'd
like to know if anyone finds out anything:

Microsoft reissues botched Windows Live Mail 2012 patch KB 3093594
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3016851/microsoft-windows/microsoft-reissues-botched-windows-live-mail-2012-patch-kb-3093594.html

Microsoft tries new version of KB 3133431 Flash Player fix
If you installed the original version of KB 3093594 and Windows Live
Mail 2012 is crashing, get this new one quickly (emm... not yet.)

InfoWorld | Dec 18, 2015

You may recall KB 3093594, the bad Windows Live Mail 2012 patch I wrote
about earlier this week. The patch arrived as a link from an email
message that looked a lot like a malware come-on, and it only applied to
Windows 7 and 8.1 users who run Windows Live Mail 2012 with outlook,
hotmail, live, or msn email accounts.

Apparently the patch works if your account on outlook.com says Outlook
Mail (Preview). But if it says anything else, you're doomed to crash.
See my post for details.

(Mario: this not only affects Windows Live Mail but Outlook 2003, 2007
and 2010 using Office Connector.)

I've received word from a reader (thanks LL!) that the patch has been
reissued. It doesn't solve all of the problems with the patch, but if
you installed the earlier version of KB 3093594 and Windows Live Mail
2012 is crashing on you, it would behoove you to install this newly
updated version of KB 3093594. (Look in Windows Update.)

Apparently the other main issues -- syncing and calendar not working --
have not yet been resolved. LL admonishes that if you are having
problems with Windows Live Mail 2012 crashing, install the latest
version of KB 3093594; but if you aren't seeing crashes, hold off until
Microsoft solves the rest of the problems

The KB article has been updated to reflect the change:

Known issues about this update

Issue 1: After you install this update (that was released before
December 17, 2015), you may find that the program crashes soon after start.

Solution: Microsoft has identified the cause and has released a fix that
addresses the issue for affected users on applicable platforms. To fix
this issue, install this update

that's released on December 17, 2015.

Issue 2: After you install this update that's released on December 17,
2015, you may experience mail sync issues.

This issue occurs because of a server-side problem. Microsoft is
researching this issue and will post more information in this article
when the information becomes available.