[Njtechdiv] TTY on a cell phone

ken lawrence kenlawrence124 at aol.com
Sun Jun 5 17:13:24 UTC 2016

Hi tech devision members.  likely barking up the wrong tree, but have an interesting question.  I have recently made a wonderful reconnection with a very special person from my days at the oakhill school for the blind.  I have submitted an article for the braille monitor about it so watch in july for that.  this person is deaf and I used the relay for talking to deaf people in this contact.  I have fiddled around on my cell phone and see in the call options menue an enable TTY and disable audio setting there.  does anyone know what would happen if I disabled audio and went into TTY mode?  can I using my computer talk to this person independently?  or possiblly would I be able to use the buttons on the phone as letters to more or less TTY directly with this person without any help?  would the speech on my cell phone read back her tyhped messages?  also on the off chance she calls me, I answer and I hear the sound of a TTY machine, can I on the fly switch to it?  it’s kind of tricky trying to get to it even with the verizon accessibility number.  that audio menue isn’t very good about telling it what you need help with.