[Njtechdiv] FW: IMPORTANT! Please be aware of this Apple IOS scam

Patricia Ebel patriciaebel0302 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 17 12:22:29 UTC 2016

From: Sheila Rousey [mailto:sheila.rousey59 at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 11:00 PM
To: Peggy Ivie; Jeannie; Beth Corley; Patricia Ebel; Eli Rousey; Neil; Bill Graham; Judy Presley; Terrell Jones; Liz Bowen Davis
Subject: IMPORTANT! Please be aware of this Apple IOS scam

I received this message from a dear friend and wanted to share it with you since you use apple devices too.

Warning about Apple Scam for "Blocked access to Apple Server, while in SAFARI"

Below is a message from my adopted Sister concerning her sister experiencing issues with a proven scam involving Apple.

I include the experience and solution.

“Hello,

My sister called me about an error message that she received while using SAFARI on her iPad.  There was a pop up message that said "Apple Blocked, Error code 9007, Your access to the Apple server is blocked. Your iPad is at risk for crashing.  Call our Apple support at 877-630-4810"

She could not close this pop up message or do anything in SAFARI.  She was able to close the app.  She called that 877 number and got a menu of choices such as: "for Mac support press #1, for SAFARI support press #2".

She pressed the number #2 and a "Apple technician" said she needed their assistance to clear out this issue and they wanted $49 and wanted her credit card number.  She questioned them about this and the responses were vague.  When she asked how they were going to "clear up the issue, they said that all she had to do was to "shut down her iPad and they would fix the problem on their side".

I worked with her to go to Settings, General, and to reset.  I told her to tap on the reset network settings.  This did not clear out the pop up in Safari, and she had to re-enter her Wi-FI pass word.

I told her to call the Apple Care number of 800-275-2273.  She called them and they told her that this was a sophisticated scam.  All she had to do was to go in to Settings, SAFARI, and scroll down to "clear history and website Data".  She did this and the pop up was gone when she opened up SAFARI.  Apple said that they have seen this coming up and the scammers want the victims credit card information.

The real Apple technician also told her that she should have "Block Pop Ups" turned on under Settings, SAFARI, as well.

This pop up message appeared on her iPad in SAFARI, after she had visited a Wal-Mart Survey site.  The Apple technician suggested that she may not want to go to Survey sites such as that one.”

Be careful during the shopping season.

Sheila