[Njtechdiv] upcoming vision research

Mario Brusco mrb620 at hotmail.com
Fri May 25 19:36:12 UTC 2018

Vision Tech: Recent Retinal Research
http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pubnew.asp?DocID=aw190502

by Bill Holton

Back in our very first Vision Tech article,
Four Emerging Vision-Enhancing Technologies,
(https://www.afb.org/afbpress/pubnew.asp?DocID=aw140902)

we introduced you to the Argus II artificial retina, developed by Second
Sight Medical Products and approved by the FDA in February of 2013 for
the treatment
of late-stage retinitis pigmentosa (RP). The Argus II uses special
eyeglasses with a mounted camera that streams video to a small
receiver/computer. This unit encodes the stream and sends the
information to a retina-implanted chip, which forwards the signal
through tiny electrodes into the optic nerve, and from there to the
visual cortex.

In our most recent Vision Tech article, Vision Technology in Clinical
Trial Phase: New Approaches to AMD Treatment and Sight Restoration
(http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pubnew.asp?DocID=aw181203)

from the December 2017 issue, we noted the company has now received
permission to begin preliminary human clinical trials of a visual
prosthesis known as Orion. Orion will use the same type of external
glasses and processor as the Argus, but instead of sending the signal to
a retinal chip, the signals will be delivered to the visual cortex directly.

Both of these devices (Argus and Orion) require special glasses, an
external power supply, and a processing unit.

But what if we could do away with at least two of these? That's the
thinking behind a new implant currently in clinical trials from the
German company, Retina Implant AG. The device, called the RETINA IMPLANT
Alpha AMS is also an implanted microchip, but it works on a different
principle than the Argus.

First, to review how the Argus works: the processing unit receives a
video stream from the eyeglass camera, then processes and interpolates
it. This digital signal is then streamed wirelessly to the retinal chip,
which, in turn, stimulates a layer of specialized ganglion cells. These
cells forward the electrical signals through the optic nerve to the
brain, and viola--vision.

"The German thinking is that we could stimulate these ganglia cells
using normal light that enters the eye, without an external processor,"
says Dr. Samantha De Silva, Honorary Clinical Research Associate at the
Nuffield Department of Clinical Neurosciences at Oxford University. This
research laboratory has collaborated with Retina Implant AG in clinical
trials of the device. "Instead of lying atop the retina, the RI Alpha
AMS chip is placed underneath. 1,600 photodiodes are activated by the
light, which then stimulates remaining inner retinal cells, such as
bipolar cells, along with any still-functioning rods
and cones. These signals are passed along to the ganglia cells upon
which they rest. Following the natural optical path, the signal is then
transmitted
to the brain via the optic nerve, with no need for glasses, no outside
processing--just a small power supply the user wears behind an ear."

The surgery for implantation of the subretinal chip is complex, however,
and De Silva is researching another, simpler way to restore vision in
damaged retinas, one that will require a more routine operation.

Interested in finding out more, visit the article link at the top of
this article.