[NJTechDiv] Introducing Myself

iliregoca at gmail.com iliregoca at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 16:43:52 UTC 2021

Hello everyone,

My name is Ilire Goca and since I am new to the technology division, I
thought I would introduce myself. I will be a senior at Kutztown University
of Pennsylvania this fall and I am studying to be a Teacher of the Visually
Impaired. I was an NFBNJ Scholarship winner back in 2017, but after
attending state convention and winning the scholarship, I took a three-year
hiatus from being actively involved in the New Jersey affiliate because my
focus was on college. Prior to winning the state scholarship, I was involved
in the New Jersey Association of Blind Students where I got to network and
hear about the various experiences of blind students who were either
transitioning to college or who were in college already. When I got to
college, I started becoming involved in many community service clubs on
campus. Unfortunately, I had to take a leave of absence during the spring
semester of this year because I found online learning very challenging and
isolating. I will be returning to campus in Fall 2021.

Currently, I volunteer as a technology coach with the Andrew Heiskell
Braille and Talking Book Library in New York City. My job is to assist blind
and visually impaired adults on how to use their assistive technology over
Zoom, whether that be teaching them how to navigate Outlook with Jaws or how
to use VoiceOver to navigate the iPhone. I have always loved learning and
teaching others about what's new in the field of assistive tech. I have also
been involved in the NFB on the national level. After the 2020 virtual
convention, I became involved in the National Association of Blind Students
where I assisted with the fundraising efforts of the organization.

In closing, I apologize for the lengthy e-mail and I can't wait to learn
from and network with all of you at future tech division meetings!

Thank you,

Ilire Goca