[NJTechDiv] Accessible Washers and Dryers for the Blind

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Sep 10 12:30:01 UTC 2021

I agree with Peggy that the best thing is to go to stores and look for
yourself, if you can.  There has been some discussion of accessible washers
on the Electronics-talk listserve, but no one has really recommended
anything specific.

When I needed a new washer/dryer a few years ago, we went and looked at PC
Richards.  The low-end machines were much more accessible than the high-end,
because the high-end machines had all kinds of inaccessible menus.  But the
GE I got has good old-fashioned dials and buttons.  I got my neighbor to
help me put some braille labels and bump dots on it, and it's just fine.  I
expect that, these days, I could use AIRA for that too, if I couldn't catch
someone to help me in person.

Also, I've seen an ad for a business on Etsy that will create a braille
overlay for you that you can put on a machine.  I'm sure they charge for it,
but I don't know how much.

HTH.

Tracy