[NJTechDiv] PDX becomes second airport in the world to have new accessibility

Mario Brusco mrb620 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 11 16:13:52 UTC 2023

PDX becomes second airport in the world to have new accessibility
technology.
https://www.kgw.com/article/travel/app-helps-disabled-at-pdx/283-87208777-b2dc-4160-b1b3-a50e7d69a688

Author: Casey McCabe, Published: 5:17 PM PST January 10, 2023, Updated:
5:17 PM PST January 10, 2023.

The app GoodMaps Explore will help those with a range of disabilities
navigate PDX with ease and safety.

GoodMaps executive Mike May introduces his accessibility technology at
the Portland International Airport on Tuesday, Dec. 10.

PORTLAND, Ore. — A new partnership between the Port of Portland and
GoodMaps is rethinking how travelers get around the Portland
International Airport.

The app called GoodMaps Explore is free for download on Apple and
Android devices, and uses audio and visual instructions to help users
find a variety of locations.

The app aims to give travelers with special needs greater agency and
control over their travel experience. It has various settings that can
accommodate individuals who are blind, deaf or neurodiverse. The app can
also help just about anyone locate their gate, a bathroom, or even the
closest place to catch a bite to eat with ease. The app also offers
detailed instructions in English, Spanish, or French.

"We live in a world of print signs so sighted people at least have an
alternative," said Goodmaps executive Mike May. "Now I have an
alternative tool or technique that allows me to navigate independently."

May, who is an innovator in GPS technology, was blinded when he was 3
years old. He was at PDX promoting the partnership and was interviewed
by KGW.

"I go in an airport, I might wanna stop and get a coffee," May said.
"It's up to me I don't have to wait around for someone to show me how to
get there."

GoodMaps Explore was launched at PDX with the support from a variety of
public and private entities. The Port of Portland’s Accessibility
Committee, the Oregon Commission for the Blind, Portland State
University, Washington State School for the Blind, Southwest Airlines,
and United Airlines all came together to make the effort possible.

PDX is now the second airport worldwide to partner with GoodMaps.

"Indoor navigation is the new frontier, and the Portland airport is only
the second airport where we now have these detailed maps," said May.

GoodMaps makes use of mapping technology and predictive AI to provide
realistic models of environments. There are no cameras, antennas or
hardware. It works just like Google Maps.

"The purpose really is to have navigation indoors like people are used
to outdoors," says May. "I want to put in my gate I want to know what's
along the way and I want to get there independently."

GoodMaps Explore can give users at PDX the precise locations of
terminals, restrooms, restaurants, stores, water fountains, charging
stations, baggage claims and numerous concourses.

There are plans to expand both the number of languages, and information
offered through the app in coming years. GoodMaps is also looking to
expand service to more airports and public spaces in the future.