[NJTechDiv] still have the issue

carcione at access.net carcione at access.net
Tue Jan 23 18:11:42 UTC 2024

Hi Ken.

My best guess is some task is running in the background and slowing down your computer.  I think you said you’d run an anti-virus check.  If not, you should.

You could also do system maintenance by running a disk clean-up and defrag.  You should be able to find both these tasks through the search on your computer.  Hit the Windows key, and, when it says Search, type disk cleanup, and, after that’s done, go back to search and type defrag.

If none of that helps, and it may not, then you can go to Task Manager and try to figure out what’s happening.

Type Windows-x, and then arrow down to task manager and hit enter.

You will get a list of applications running.  Point at one and tab to more details and hit the space bar.

Then either control-tab or plain tab until you get to the list of tabs.  You will be on the one called Processes.  Right-arrow to the next one, Performance, and then tab back to the running task list and arrow down through it.

It will show you what’s running and the percentage of your computer it’s using.  Sometimes it read it to me, and sometimes I had to switch to the Jaws cursor and see what the line said.

Then, if you want, you can tab to End Task and hit the space bar.  But be cautious.

I just looked at this on my PC.  I had the tasks I expected, like Jaws and Outlook.  I also had 48 tasks running in the background.  Most of those are system tasks, and others I recognized, and still others I had no idea.  I’m pretty sure that if you accidentally end something you needed, you can restart it, but you may have to reboot to do it.

Anyway, that’s what I think and what I found out.  I’m running Windows 10, but I expect the process for Windows 11 isn’t all that different.

You may wish to find a pro to help you resolve your problem.

Tracy