[NJTechDiv] a TTY question.

Ken Lawrence kenlawrence124 at aol.com
Sat Mar 23 15:24:50 UTC 2024

Hi techy friends ken here.  I have a friend that went to school with me at the Matheny school named michele who is deaf and I’d love to call her.  I know how to of course use the NJ relay have done that talking to another deaf/blind friend from CT that I went to school with.  I see on the iPhone settings where you’d turn on RTT/TTY and it has both a software based and hardware based setting.  My question is if I enable hardware TTY do I need to have something physically connected with an adapter or something physically connected to the lightning port or would my braille Ereader be able to act as a TTY device.  Would the reader be able to both send and receive written/typed content sent from a deaf person’s TTY?  Also would the iphone’s text to speech read back something that was sent by a TTY?  I asked apple accessibility but they didn’t know.  I would think the reader would receive that since that is on the iPhone screen right?  We couldn’t figure out if it worked both ways.  Thanks.

Sent from Mail for Windows