[Nmabs] NMABS meeting minutes from the last meeting. sorry for the delay...

NMABS President nmabs.president at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 03:31:43 UTC 2009

New Mexico Association of Blinds Students Meeting minutes for the
meeting held on 11/15/09
Meeting Called to order at 7:05 PM
ROLE Call
Monica Martinez
Tara Sena
Alexandria Odonoghue
Chris Chavez
Terese Garcia
Brianne Kotschwar
Introduction of Guests
Ken Pierce
Brianne motioned that the minutes from the previous meeting be
approved, and Monica seconded. Motion passed.
Treasurer's report
Beginning balance was $1428.66. We had a withdrawal of $646.87 for the
coins and the usual  withdrawal of $2.67 for tax and service fees.
Balance as of now is $779.99. The check from Fudruckers was received,
and it was for $53.20.
Due to technical difficulties, there have been some problems ordering
the coins. When we try again, Tara proposed that the shipping and
handling of the coins be paid for by NMABS. Alexandria motioned that
we pay for the rush shipping and handling, and Terese seconded. Motion
passed.
Update: Tara has refunded the NMABS treasurer for the original amount
of $646.00 for the purchase of the coins which never ended up
happening do to technical difficulties with Tara’s credit card. Tara
never authorized a check for the $18 for the shipping and handling for
the coins, so that is no longer a worry. The T-shirts will be ordered
Thursday with the coin still on the back.
Alexanderia moved, Monica seconded to approve the Treasurer’s report;
the motion passed.
Washington Seminar
Tara discussed Washington Seminar and said that the State Board would
be willing to pay for 2 students. Michael, Alexandria, and Terese have
stated that they are interested in attending.
State Convention
State Convention will be taking place from April 9-11. Tara would like
us to start thinking about things that we can do for the student
seminar on Friday.
Web Site
The web site is not on the Internet yet, but Chris has been working
hard to get the site up and running. By December 20, Tara would like
to see the site live.
Fundraising
We talked about FX Graphics, which is the company in Albuquerque that
is willing to produce T-shirts for us. Tara will order 75 shirts, in
other words, 15 shirts in each size, from small to 2XL.
Our guest was Ken Pierce, a photographer that designs mugs featuring
photographs that he has taken. His mugs have various inspiring or
amazing images such as religious sayings, images of the Tram tower
number 2, etc. These mugs sell for $10. If we team up to help him sell
the mugs, NMABS would get 25% of that price in profit. Ken's web site
is kenpiercephotography.com
We have decided to go ahead and help Ken and sell the mugs.
Alexandria talked about another fundraising idea: Valentine lunches.
She stated that we would get $5 for each lunch. We also thought of
having a mystery lunch.
Community Service
Monica gave us an update about the clothing drive, and there has not
been much donating going on. Alex volunteered to donate several bags
of clothes.
Chris and Tara went and collected some more clothes for the clothing drive.
The following message is from the Accessibility Resource Center at the
University of NM regarding a food drive for RoadRunner Food Bank of
NM.
Greetings!

UNM is having a Roadrunner Bank of New Mexico Food Drive.
 The food drive will continue through December 18.  Please bring our
non-perishable food items to the Big Blue Bin at the ARC office.

Most Needed Items:
Canned Meat
Canned Vegetables
Canned Fruit
Canned Entrees
Macaroni & Cheese
Cereal Bars
Peanut Butter/ Jelly
Pastas/ Sauces
Rice/ Beans
Boxed Meals
Sugar
Soups

Please DO NOT Donate:
Home-canned or jarred products
Opened products
Items in glass containers
Perishable foods
Frozen or Fresh Items/ Produce

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Guiovanna

We all talked about having a Christmas party on December 20. We
thought about doing a secret Santa like we do every year, but we
decided to do a white elephant with a pot luck. We will be having this
at Monica's apartment.
Monica’s address is: 6300 Montgomery Blvd. NE. APT 304
Call her for specific directions at: 505-463-8044.
Presidential Release
The National scholarship is available online, and the deadline is
March 31, 2010. It is available on nfb.org/scholarships.
The State scholarship will be available on January 4, 2010.
Announcements
The NFB Albuquerque Chapter meeting is on Tuesday at Shoney’s.
Que Pasa is coming out in December.
Due to business of life, there was not an article in this month’s Que
Pasa from the student division.
The Scuba Diving Class is next Saturday at the Rio Rancho Aquatic Center.
Chris motioned that the meeting be adjourned, Terese seconded. Motion passed.
Meeting Adjourned at 8:48 PM.