[Nmabs] Minutes for June 19 meeting.

NMABS President nmabs.president at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 02:38:40 CDT 2011


New Mexico Association of Blind Students; June 19, 2011 Meeting Minutes

Meeting comes to order at 7:10 PM.

Roll Call of Members:

David Abraham

Monica Martinez

Tara Chavez

Michael Postlethwait

Amanda Youngblood

Josh Brownell

Christopher Chavez

introduction of guests: Darian Smith; Board member, National Association of
Blind Students, 1st Vice President California Association of Blind Students,
Co-chair Membership Committee; National Association of Blind Students

Minutes from previous meeting: no minutes, Tara will send them by Tuesday

Treasurer's report: as of 6/7/2011 balance of $1,340.18. David made a motion
to approve the report, Amanda seconded, the motion passed.

Announcements: the Albuquerque chapter meeting Tuesday June 21st 6:00-8:00
PM. at Ihop at 7500 Menaul.

Darian announced that NABS is offering to sell items for state student
divisions at convention.

We are having a benefit night and 10% of all sales from 5:00-9:00 PM on
Monday, June 20th at the Flying Star on Rio Grande will be donated to the
NMABS.

We discussed waiting till August to have another benefit night. Ihop will be
our next benefit night.

We will be participating in the New Mexico State Fair Parade on September
10, 2011.

NABS hospitality night Sunday at convention, NABS business meeting and
seminar on Monday, NABS Monte Carlo Thursday, fundraising, raffle for an
Apple TV, coffee mugs with the whozit with Mickey Mouse ears. NABS is
looking for volunteers to help with convention events such as working the
table in the exhibit Hall, Monte Carlo, hospitality night, and the business
meeting and elections. To volunteer, contact Darian at dsmithnfb at gmail.com.

Register as a member of NABS at nabslink.org.

David summarized the NABS presidents conference call, suggestions for
keeping state student divisions and NABS connected, communication between
NABS and state student divisions, accountability were the topics of
discussion.

We discussed succession plans so we have an idea of who might be good to
step in for NMABS.

Some ideas to help strengthen NMABS are: seminar at school for the blind,
orientation center, talk to teachers of high school students, get
information from the white cane list and youth slam list, NMABS flyer, etc.

Monica offered to write a flyer.

Next meeting, David will run the July meeting on July 17 due to Tara's
absence.

We discussed some ideas for NMABS meetings, even months Tara will run the
meetings, odd months, other board members will run the meetings.

We discussed everyone stepping up to fill in positions within the division.

Other ideas for discussion included: Goalball, community service, Scuba
Diving, etc. All of these possibilities are things we as a division can get
involved in.

David and Lindsay have offered to be in charge of Goalball and all of it's
logistics.

Michael offered to contact the scuba diving people from last time.

Activity: Cliffs possibly Labor Day weekend, Josh will look into it.

The Presidential release will be summarized at the next meeting.

Michael moved, Monica seconded, meeting adjourned at 9:15 PM.

Tara mentioned the pool party after the meeting, Amanda moved that NMABS
donate $25 for the pool party, Josh seconded, motion passed. The pool party
will be August 27, 4:00-6:00 PM, at Valley High School.

 

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://nfbnet.org/pipermail/nmabs_nfbnet.org/attachments/20110627/49c071a9/attachment.html>


More information about the Nmabs mailing list