[nobe-l] Hello and question

Kathleen A. Millhoff kamillhoff at gdoe.net
Mon Oct 27 03:33:59 UTC 2008

I want to be fair to our mentors and supervisors; I believe that the
questions most asked concern classroom management and our part, as blind
teachers, in it>  It seems that not much teaching can get done if things are
out fo control in the classroom.
I was always baffled, however, as to why they didn't ask about our teaching
philosophy, pedagogical style, priorities.
I've taught many years in high school and middle school, English and
reading. I work in special education now. I don't know about the U.S.
mainland, but things have deteriorated in classrooms as far as behavior and
conduct art concerned.
However, this doesn't mean a dedicated teacher, blind or otherwise,
shouldn't go in and teach if that's what he/she wants to do.
Usually when a sighted person asks how you're going to know somehing,
they're beginning with the wrong premise.  That is, they're thinking about
their own disorientation and confusion when the lights go out.  When you
have your own classroom, you might choose to work with an aide; you will set
up seating patterns; you will set up groupings for work through projects;
you might find difficulty in getting students to monitor others' behavior,
but some have used that practice; you will set up your classroom guidelines;
you will no doubt walk around, use a notetaker and take notes on behaviors
and interactions.
I'd advise exploring all these issues. Visit other teachers' classrooms;
don't wait for the practica offered by your college; do some field work on
your own, like give talks or conduct surveys; talk to veteran teachers who
will have great advice.
Best of luck.
Remember, that every profession began with a teacher.
best,
kat