[nobe-l] Quietly I introduce myself

Antonio M. Guimaraes iamantonio at cox.net
Thu Feb 11 18:19:25 UTC 2010

Dear Priscilla,

thank you for your insight into teaching, and the job market.

I find it unfortunate that blind people have such a hard time finding
teaching positions in middle and high schools. Why is that, and more
important, why it should be so anger me a bit. One of our list members just
posted that he was denied a job based on his blindness. This is absolutely
appalling, and they are lucky the NFB is not so organized where employment
of blind teachers is concerned. That is at least my perception. If it were,
teachers need not fear landing a job.

That said, I will do what I do, and fight the good fight, and definitely
plan of getting a masters. Community College is a good options, but need not
be where I stop. If I start with a job in the place, city, of my choosing,
and grow from there, I could teach at a four year institution with a ph.d.

God only knows what the future holds for me down the road, but it is good to
hear stories from the trenches.

Sincerely,

Antonio Guimaraes

If an infinite number of rednecks riding in an infinite number of pickup
trucks fire an infinite number of shotgun rounds at an infinite number of
highway signs, they will eventually produce all the world's great literary
works in Braille.

Shop online and support the NFB of RI at no additional cost to you.
http://www.givebackamerica.com/charity.php?b=169
Givebackamerica.org, America's Online Charity Shopping Mall