[nobe-l] More questions for Kathy was: RE: QuietlyIintroducemyself

Marianne mdenning at cinci.rr.com
Tue Feb 16 13:29:29 UTC 2010

Anita, You put it very well.  I was also a nontraditional student.  I am 52
and began working to become a TVI 3 years ago.  The other thing I would add
is to work your contacts.  You never know when a contact, even outside the
education field, will know of a position.  I am amazed in my job because the
parents love having a blind teacher for their children.  If you make contact
with some of the parents and they know your abilities they may push to have
you hired.  I am not only a teacher but I am a roll model.  I also can talk
with the teachers about what the student is trying to get away with and what
is really a problem.  Teachers tend to believe everything the blind student
tells them about a limitation.  All students will take advantage of a
situation when possible.  My student had a big fight with her mother the
other day and had a history test.  She told me she was not ready to take the
test.  She was trying to get out of the test.  That is not an excuse to get
out of a test.  It was good thinking on her part though.