[nobe-l] question about learning student names

Anita Adkins aadkins7 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 20 15:20:02 UTC 2010

Hi,

One of my college instructors, who taught first grade for many years and who
can also see, said that she would assign seats for the students and learn as
much about each student prior to the beginning of the year.  In addition,
she would study the pictures of the students in order to recognize them by
sight.  Perhaps, our alternative would be to have an audio snapshot of their
voices, but this would most likely not be available until we create it the
first day of school or something like that.  If we create it the first day,
we can maybe study it over the first week end of school or something like
that.  Depending on the grade, maybe one could also create some getting to
know you activities where the students share about themselves.  Even sighted
people do this because in one of my courses on how to teach music, the
teacher had us do such activities.  It helps the students to become more
familiar with each other, and it allows the teacher to get to know the
students.  Of course, I realize you are teaching college, and so this may
not be appropriate, but I share it for those in situations where it may be
beneficial.  When I work with students, I have them say their name (and
raise their hand) in order to answer my question.  This allows me to
identify who is responding and to learn their voices better.  For example,
if John wants to answer a question, he says "John" and I echo "John."  John
now knows he can answer the question.  Of course, this technique is
explained at the beginning of a speech or class.  Just some thoughts.  Anita