[nobe-l] A question.

James Fetter jfetter at nd.edu
Sat Jul 24 14:46:19 UTC 2010

I pretty much agree with all of the advice given so far; hands-on
learning is extremely important, as is Braille instruction and
mobility/independence training. I would add, though, that any parent of
a blind child needs to recognize that all blind children, and adults for
that matter, have their own learning style, just as all sighted children
do. Some blind children are very adept at spatial orientation, and some
are going to struggle with it. Some will learn to read more quickly and
at a higher level than others, and some will favor Braille over auditory
reading and vice versa. In other words, there are certain basic skills
that a blind child is going to need, as there are with all children, but
there is no cookie-cutter approach that will work for every blind child.
In my case, for instance, I learned to read Braille at a very young age,
but now, I do most of my reading with a speech synthesizer. I didn't get
a lot of mobility training beyond the basics as a child, but I lucked
out in having a relatively good internal sense of orientation. However,
some very successful blind professionals I know still struggle with
remembering how their environment is laid out, just as some very
successful sighted people do. Some are handy around the house; others,
myself included, have no business with anything more complicated than a
screwdriver. Some blind children may need to be shown how to do certain
things--I'm thinking especially of daily living skills, sports, and
other physical activities--in a very hands-on fashion, whereas some can
get a lot out of precise verbal descriptions. In other words, the
biggest mistake, beyond not ensuring that Braille instruction and
mobility training are available, is assuming that all blind children
should learn in exactly the same way. All that blind children have in
common with one another is their blindness, and it is worth keeping that
in mind.
I hope this helps!
James

--