[nobe-l] A question.

Marianne Denning mdenning at cinci.rr.com
Sat Jul 24 14:20:01 UTC 2010

Melissa, sighted children learn by observation.  Children who are visually
impaired do not have the same opportunity so it is important for parents and
others to use hands-on teaching instructions.  When I was a child my mother
would yell at me all of the time because I had my hands on everything when
we went into a store.  In most cases she did an excellent job teaching me
but I don't think she understood that I was using the information from my
fingers to educate me about the store, the department we were in and what
different products felt like.  She would tell me we were going into an area
with breakable items so I absolutely had to keep my hands to myself.  I did
follow directions then.  I am also speaking of when I was pretty young.  As
I grew up she worried less about me breaking things and would just warn me
to be careful.  I think it is important to experience all of these things
and people need to give visually impaired children the same opportunity.  I
also believe orientation skills and appropriate selection of media for
reading are very important.

Marianne Denning