[nobe-l] Transportation for Student Teaching

Anita Adkins aadkins7 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 22 21:30:52 UTC 2010

One suggestion is for you to hire a driver.  However, I would consider
having a student to drive you.   I am in my internship at this moment, and
generally, I prefer going on my own so that I can leave and arrive without
worrying about other people's time schedules.  However, I am riding with
someone because, for this particular teach, we all have a partner.  She and
I can discuss things on the way.  Also, schools have limited parking, and so
our instructors recommended that many of us carpool.  As a result, even
sighted students are riding with one another.  If you do not feel
comfortable riding with someone because you feel unsafe when doing so, you
certainly shouldn't do that.  But, it seems to me that most likely you would
be fine doing that.  As far as Rehab paying, I know they did pay for a
student near my area to travel from her home to college and home again, and
so they may work with you on that.  However, remember that sighted people
pay insurance, gas, and probably a car payment.  So paying a driver, if
required, would be sort of similar to this kind of expense.  Sorry, I have
no other sollutions, but I hope you are successful in working something out.
I can certainly understand how stressful aranging transportation could be.
Anita