[nobe-l] tutoring ESL

Sean s.p.lundy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 23:14:58 UTC 2010

Hi everybody.
I recently started volunteer tutoring a group of English learners (all
sighted). I have a little experience tutoring one-on-one, but not group. The
sessions have been pretty unstructured so far, so I am looking for
suggestions as to how to incorporate speaking, listening, vocabulary,
reading, and writing into them. There are between four and seven in the
group, depending on how many show up. They are all intermediate learners. I
only have two sessions a week with them, one hour each, so I want to make
them as efficient as possible. Since all of the students say they use
English most at school and at the store, I thought it would be a good idea
to base my lessons on those places to start with. Any suggestions/advice
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sean