[nobe-l] TVI Programs at Universities

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 00:39:04 UTC 2010

Dear List,
I am planning on become a Teacher of the Visual Impaired. While I am
going to start at the local community college here in Raleigh, North
Carolina, I will of course need to transfer to a four-year school
after completeing my Transfer Associate's. I have a few options, and
am not sure which I will pick (getting a general education degree, a
special education degree, or a double licensure, before getting my
Master's). I am still weighing the options.

My current top choices are Texas Tech in Austin, Texas; Louisiana Tech
in Ruston, Louisiana; and Northern Indiana University just outside
Chicago, Illinois.

Does anyone have experience with these campuses' special education
programs? What did you like/dislike about them? What is the
surrounding area like? I'm looking for a place that has easy
accessible transportation to stores and such, pedestrian-friendly
areas, and accessibility for the physically disabled (I have chronic
pain and fatigue in addition to my visual impairment).

If anyone attended one of these schools, please take the time to tell
me a bit about it and the area around it. Also, anyone who has another
recommendation of a school, please feel free to tell me about your
college and its advantages and disadvantages.

Thank you,

--
~Jewel
Check out my blog about accessibility for the blind!