[nobe-l] Questions

Kathy Nimmer goldendolphin17 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 12 23:36:32 UTC 2011

Danielle,
  I teach high school English to sighted kids in Indiana and have done so for nineteen years. Here is how it works for me.
1. Yes, I have an aide who is with me during the five classes I teach consecutively, plus a half hour beyond that. While I was not hired in with one, it became apparent for my particular situation, school population, subject area, and class sizes that it is very helpful to have one. I could teach without one, but it would not be as successful for me.
2. My aide inputs grades on the computer since the program is not accessible, records attendance, grades things that are objective from a key I make, makes copies, and co-handles discipline with me by either dealing with minor things on her own or alerting me to those things I can't know about myself with no vision but those that I as the teacher should handle myself. As a bonus, she is a nice addition to the positive personality and atmosphere in my classroom, though not all of my aides have been such a presence.
3. The school corporation pays her salary as a para-professional, just like all of the other paras. It is hourly with no benefits and a part-time cap. This is the only reasonable accommodation they provide me. I pay everything else: technology, readers outside of school, transportation, and anything else I need different from other teachers.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Kathy Nimmer