[nobe-l] Re Liz's questions

Irina Anisimova ilanisimova at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 04:49:08 UTC 2011

Hi Liz,

My name is Irina and I am also a graduate student at the department of
Slavic Languages and Literatures at Pitt.

I agree with Cayte that it will help to ask students to tell you their
names, when they make a comment during the discussion I tried it in my
classes, and although I always had to remind them, I remembered their
voices very quickly.  I also think that if you have more then 50
students in your class, you would never be able to remember everyone,
but at least you will know the active students.

I will also suggest combination of handouts and projecting from a
computer to the screen.  Power Point is fine to use with JAWS.  I use
office t003, because I generally find it easier.  May be somebody else
could comment on using newer versions of PPT.  You can also project
Word documents onto a screen. Or even type in Word if you want to make
a quick reference.  I used to do that in my language classes.

I also have a question for the list concerning using the braille
display for teaching.  I currently use JAWS and have a headphone in
one ear, but find it at times annoying, especially when I want to show
a clip from my computer and JAWS continues speaking for a while.  Does
anyone on the list use brail display for teaching?  Does it work well
with PPT and other programs?  I am considering buying it at some
point.

Regards,

Irina