[nobe-l] Re Liz's questions

James Fetter jfetter at nd.edu
Mon Aug 22 05:56:36 UTC 2011

I'm also a graduate student and have taught or TA-ed several times. I
agree with Irina about asking students to announce their names during
discussion. I've tried various methods of calling on students who don't
speak often; the most effective seems to be to ask for a comment from
someone who hasn't spoken before in class or, if all else fails, simply
calling on a student who never says anything. The difficulty, of course,
is that the student may have nothing intelligent to say or may not be
paying attention, which disrupts the flow of the discussion. I haven't
made much use of PowerPoint, because I have thus far taught smaller
classes or discussion sections. I do, however, use a Braille display (an
Alva BC640) for reading off lecture notes, consulting the text being
analyzed, etc, and it seems to work fine with standard office
applications. I hope this helps.
All Best,
James