[nobe-l] A question about job searching process

Kathy McGillivray kjm at usfamily.net
Wed Dec 28 04:32:00 UTC 2011

Hello. I see no reason to mention your disability in your cover letter or
resume. Hiring managers and HR folks are going to wonder why you are
mentioning it. Just submit your cover and resume as anyone else would,
making sure it looks good. Then, if you get an interview and feel you don't
want to catch folks by surprise, you can call a day or two ahead of time and
ask for confirmation of some directions or some other point of information
related to the interview. While doing so, you might mention that "I just
wanted you to know that I am blind, so you are not caught off guard." Some
folks feel most comfortable disclosing in this way ahead of time. This is
what I have chosen to do. So you know, I just started a new job this past
summer and was offered a position a year earlier which I decided to turn
down. I have had a number of interviews in the past couple of years and this
disclosure method seems to have worked for me. Other peple see no reason to
disclose ahead of time. You will need to do what feels most comfortable for
you. I strongly advise against mentioning your disability in a cover or
resume. This would be a red flag to me as a hiring manager and I would
wonder why you are bringing it up. I think mentioning your disability in a
cover or resume is a fairly good way to not get an interview. Others may
disagree with me, but this is my view.

Kathy McGillivray