[nobe-l] question

Caitlin Lynch caitlin.m.lynch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 21:47:31 UTC 2011

Hi Faith,
   Last year, I student taught in a seventh grade and a ninth grade
classroom for English. Some suggestions I have to offer are that you
could stand in front of the room and listen for a few minutes.
Depending on how well you know the students and their voices, you may
be able to pick out a few notoriously missing voices. Even when you're
circulating around the room, having conversations, listen to your
surroundings. Listen to those conversations that don't appear relevant
to what is happening with the group work. Another way you could find
out is by asking each group member a question when you approach their
groups. If you design the groups ahead of time, you will be able to
separate out those students that do not work well together, put
quieter students with those that are a bit more consciensious, etc. If
you're not sure of the student personalities and who works well/poorly
with whom, feel free to ask your cooperating teacher to provide these
details.

   Hope this helps, and best of luck! Student teaching is exciting and
difficult and incredibly rewarding, IMO.

Best,
Caitlin