[nobe-l] Introduction and questions

Lucy Sirianni lucysirianni at earthlink.net
Tue May 17 22:24:48 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

   My name is Lucy Sirianni; I will be graduating next week from
Johns Hopkins University with a B.A.  in English and moving to
California in August to pursue my Ph.D.  in English at Berkeley.
I plan to teach literature at the college level, likely
specializing in African American writings and 19th-century
Transatlantic exchanges.  I have been almost totally blind since
birth due to Leber's Congenital Amaurosis.  I write not only to
introduce myself as I've just joined this list, but also to ask a
few questions:

   Firstly, are there any other blind English professors who
happen to be members of this list? I have spoken with a few and
have very much appreciated my contact with them, so I'd be glad
to be in touch with any others.

   Secondly, as I'll be starting grad school in the fall, I'd
like to take this summer to determine what kind of technology I
may need in the future to aid my research and teaching.  Could
others tell me what has been helpful to them? I currently use a
BrailleNote BT MPower.

   Thank you in advance to all of you for your help, and I look
forward to being a part of this list!

Lucy