[nobe-l] Laptops and screen-readers

Thornbury, Kelly kthornbury at bresnan.net
Mon Oct 31 03:58:50 UTC 2011

Lucy,

I already had JAWS, but yes, if you don't have it yet you would have to
purchase it, along with the Windows OS. Like I said, I already had both of
these, but if you do have to purchase them additionally, then the set up
becomes a bit more expensive. The BootCamp application is included with the
Mac OS (I think the latest version is "Lion") and is on the set-up disc. If
you want to run both OSes at the same time, you will need a program like
"Fusion," which I think runs in the $30-$50 range, but I really don't
remember. I've read that Fusion is a little slower than other options, but
offers less problems. You would also want to Max  out the RAM to run both
(something to consider in your purchase).

Be forewarned that Freedom Scientific offers no "support" for using JAWS on
a Mac (so don't tell them that is how you have it set up, because I have yet
to notice a difference). In fact, one tech I talked to pretty much shut me
down before I could ask any questions when I mentioned my set up, but I also
know a few JAWS techs who use the same set up on their own machines, so if
you had a problem, well, hopefully you win the lottery.

Additionally you will want the Microsoft Office suite, and I recommend
sticking with the PC side, I just don't like the Mac version of Office, but
I have it for times when I want to mess with Word documents on the Mac
platform (again, a little costly if you have to purchase both, but as a
student I also got these for free through the college). You can work with
Office documents (Word, Excel, and I think PowerPoint using "iWorks (Macs
version of Office), but I find this to be a little clumsy as well. The
iWorks suite used to run about $80, which makes it way cheaper than the more
advanced Office suites.

Starting from scratch, the Mac + PC option is costly; I did it in part
because of the corners I could cut. Depending on what you need, going
straight PC is far less expensive, but I like my Mac platform so much more.

If you have any more questions, I'll be glad to try, but again, I'm not a
computer person and I'm sure there are better ways.
Hope this helps,
Kelly