[nobe-l] (no subject)

Amanda Matheny mommyzhuuraan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 15:13:37 UTC 2012

I would also suggest that you do something like the Texas School for
the Blind does. They take students who come from communities that are
not equipped to handle blind students, which in Uganda at least for a
start will probably be all of them, but then they help the home school
districts acquire the resources to give blind students the same
quality education, with a goal of sending these students back to their
home communities. They also work with the local Austin school district
to give blind students at least partial interaction with the
mainstream education system. I would suggest that you do something
similar. Blind students still need to have interaction with the
mainstream community and helping local school districts build the
resources they need will allow you to accept other students who are
more in need. Most school districts in Texas are now well equipped for
blind students, except the more rural ones, and TSBVI mostly accepts
either blind students from rural communities or those with multiple
disabilities, whose communities are less equipped to handle their
circumstances. They still work together toward a goal of having these
students attend mainstream schools however.